Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Visa (British travelling through Australia wanting to move to Canada)

Spousal Visa (British travelling through Australia wanting to move to Canada)

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:17 am
Just Joined

openupyoureyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa (British travelling through Australia wanting to move to Canada)

Hi,
I'm new here, but have been looking up this stuff for the past year or so.
I'm an Australian Citizen and Canadian Resident married to a British Citizen, but he left the UK in April 2009. Since then we he came to Montreal to live with me, then we got married in Ottawa, then we went to Australia for the last 6 months to visit friends and family. Now we are looking to go back to Montreal. But reading the threads here I am wondering if we should apply for spousal visa outside Canada. I was wondering if he would be able to apply to the London office (I read it's very fast) and if would be able to do that from Australia/canada, or would have to go back to London? His most permanent address is his parent's in the UK, since we've been all over the place since then. Do we have to apply inland? I don't really want to spend time apart as we already did that for 9 months before we got married.

Just to do a summary, I am a canadian resident, he is a British Citizen, we are married. We hope to move back to Canada (Montreal, QC), and are currently travelling through Australia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've read all the forms over so many times, why is does Canadian visa take so long to process compared to Australia and the UK? I want to stay Canadian
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:03 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa (British travelling through Australia wanting to move to Canada)

Hi

Originally Posted by openupyoureyes
Hi,
I'm new here, but have been looking up this stuff for the past year or so.
I'm an Australian Citizen and Canadian Resident married to a British Citizen, but he left the UK in April 2009. Since then we he came to Montreal to live with me, then we got married in Ottawa, then we went to Australia for the last 6 months to visit friends and family. Now we are looking to go back to Montreal. But reading the threads here I am wondering if we should apply for spousal visa outside Canada. I was wondering if he would be able to apply to the London office (I read it's very fast) and if would be able to do that from Australia/canada, or would have to go back to London? His most permanent address is his parent's in the UK, since we've been all over the place since then. Do we have to apply inland? I don't really want to spend time apart as we already did that for 9 months before we got married.

Just to do a summary, I am a canadian resident, he is a British Citizen, we are married. We hope to move back to Canada (Montreal, QC), and are currently travelling through Australia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've read all the forms over so many times, why is does Canadian visa take so long to process compared to Australia and the UK? I want to stay Canadian
1. As a PR you have to be in Canada to sponsor.
2. So you will have 2 choices when you return, either a spousal application through London (unless he is admitted to Canada for a year) then he has a choice of Buffalo as well. Or an "in-Canada" spousal application through Vegreville, which can pretty slow.
3. Don't forget that as you will be residing in Quebec, he will require a CSQ from Quebec Immigration (MICC)
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

openupyoureyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Visa (British travelling through Australia wanting to move to Canada)

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. As a PR you have to be in Canada to sponsor.

2. So you will have 2 choices when you return, either a spousal application through London (unless he is admitted to Canada for a year) then he has a choice of Buffalo as well. Or an "in-Canada" spousal application through Vegreville, which can pretty slow.

3. Don't forget that as you will be residing in Quebec, he will require a CSQ from Quebec Immigration (MICC)
1 -I'm aware of that. I was planning on going back to Montreal anyway as I still work there remotely and plan to work there after I arrive.

2-Cool, mostly I was just wondering if I could apply through London even though my husband will be in Canada (meaning that does he actually have to be in the UK when he makes the application). Buffalo? Through America? Do people do that?

3-Yep aware of this Quite used to how everything has to go through Quebec government when you are a Quebec resident, complicates every part of life. But still Montreal is a beautiful city. Do you know if there are any common complications with the CSQ?
My husband is a fairly standard 26 yo British experienced professional with no medical problems and a degree and no criminal history in his family. As far as I can tell I should have no problems with Quebec as I've definitely had no financial issues there and have been working the whole time I've lived in Montreal. Our 'proof' of our relationship is very heavy, hundreds of photos, emails, chats, joint accounts, joint rent, friend's statements, even immigration officers here in Australia said it was over the top so I don't expect any trouble there.

Also, I read that he can get his health check here in Australia (with the authorized doctors) and it is valid for 12 months. Can he use this when applying through London?

Oh PS thank you very much for the answers

Last edited by openupyoureyes; Feb 22nd 2010 at 1:19 pm.