Spousal Visa

Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice
Question Spousal Visa

Apologies if this information is right in front of my eyes but i'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me ... your help and support is appreciated

I'm British and currently live in London with my Canadian wife and two young children. We're considering emigrating to Canada and understand that to do this on a permanent basis I will need to apply for (and get) a spousal visa.
Our eldest child (3 yo) already has Canadian citezenship and we have applied for the same for our youngest (7 months).

I've downloaded the relevant forms from CIC and although at first glance look very complicated, they should be relatively straightforward to complete.

I guess I'd like some advice on a few points and how to prioritise what we do next.

Should we start the application process first before doing anything else? I don't really want to start job or house hunting before knowing that we'll be ok to move ... or will that be a formality?

Is there anyone else here with similar circumstances or has already been through the process? What are these 'visa' companies like and should we use them to ensure our application is completed properly - they seem expensive!

How long (roughly) will the process take? We're not in any particular hurry although would like to be settled by the end of 2010 or early 2011.

We're visiting relatives in Canada for Christmas this year and I know that we'll be gung-ho to get things moving on our return to London and certainly when I have to go back to work after the christmas break.

Finally for the moment, I have over 20 years experience in the print industry - although would not be bothered if I have to work in an alternative sector using my business development / customer service skills. Any good websites I should look at for work or for uploading my CV too?

Sorry for the waffle and hope someone (or a few of you) will be kind enough to offer some advice.
Thanks in advance,

Chobert
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spousal Visa

Originally Posted by chobert
Apologies if this information is right in front of my eyes but i'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me ... your help and support is appreciated

I'm British and currently live in London with my Canadian wife and two young children. We're considering emigrating to Canada and understand that to do this on a permanent basis I will need to apply for (and get) a spousal visa.
Our eldest child (3 yo) already has Canadian citezenship and we have applied for the same for our youngest (7 months).

I've downloaded the relevant forms from CIC and although at first glance look very complicated, they should be relatively straightforward to complete.

I guess I'd like some advice on a few points and how to prioritise what we do next.

Should we start the application process first before doing anything else? I don't really want to start job or house hunting before knowing that we'll be ok to move ... or will that be a formality?

Is there anyone else here with similar circumstances or has already been through the process? What are these 'visa' companies like and should we use them to ensure our application is completed properly - they seem expensive!

How long (roughly) will the process take? We're not in any particular hurry although would like to be settled by the end of 2010 or early 2011.

We're visiting relatives in Canada for Christmas this year and I know that we'll be gung-ho to get things moving on our return to London and certainly when I have to go back to work after the christmas break.

Finally for the moment, I have over 20 years experience in the print industry - although would not be bothered if I have to work in an alternative sector using my business development / customer service skills. Any good websites I should look at for work or for uploading my CV too?

Sorry for the waffle and hope someone (or a few of you) will be kind enough to offer some advice.
Thanks in advance,

Chobert

Hi Chobert,

I am not going the spousal sponsorship route but I can give you my 5 cents...

Yes you should start the process as soon as possible and definately before you go job and house hunting. One step after another. It'll be stressful enough.

The forms are usually straight forward and if your case it the same (married, living together, no interruptions....) you should be able to do this without an immigration lawyer.

It's money that you can definately save!

I assume you will be applying in London UK. You can check how long those cases usually take by clicking on CIC's homepage on the far right on 'check how long it takes to process my case'.

I believe the current timeline is approx 1 year. So if you start in Jan 2010 you should have your PR by Jan 2011.

Working/Job Engines: I cant help you in your specific field but www.workopolis.ca is the largest job hunting homepage and you can also upload your CV there. That's how my current job found me (through a recruiter). It's definately worth a try. But I can tell you that job hunting is usually something to start at the very end for several reasons: Canadian employers like applicants who are already in Canada with a work permit best. And they usually want you to start asap.

So... do the paper work first. Everything else will fall into place.

Please also read the WIKI hints with lots of information and links!

all the best
Brigit
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Many thanks Brigit - much appreciated.
I intend to stay on this site as there seems to be so much useful information so i'll keep digging and will certainly start the application process very soon.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance,

Chobert
Hiya,

We just finished the Spousal route and landed a few weeks ago. The entire process for Spousal Sponsorship, assuming your application is straight forward (no criminal record, illness etc), is very quick and ours took 3 months from posting the application to receiving the passport with visa inside.

If i were you i'd enjoy your Christmas with family and begin the process in the new year as you'll have more drive to do so probably. If all goes well you could have your visa by April/May 2010.

I would also advise against using a consultant if you background is straight forward as mentioned above. Save yourself a few £000's. Once you begin working on the application you'll realise it's not that bad at all. Just follow the instructions and make sure any question that isn't applicable to you, write N/A within the answer area.

Good luck.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Hi,

Wait until the new year, enjoy xmas, then fill out the forms and if you get stuck just ask on here, apply for your police certificate from acpo website, go and do the medical, gather all evidence of relationship throughout the years and then once done send off the forms, you will hear a yes or no from missisauga within 40 days and if successful your forms will be sent to the London visa office, this will take anywhere from 2-12 months but if it is straight forward you should be done in about 2-4 months....

dont sell anything just yet, wait until you have the visa in your passport, same with job hunting, save it until you know you have the visa then you are free to leave at any point, you get 1 year from the medical to land and then you must reside in Canada 2 years out of 5 to retain residency or 3 out 5 for citizenship.....

Dont waste your money on a consultant unless you are filthy rich and want them to do nothing and make you do the hard work, unless u have a complicated past or a criminal conviction, fill out the forms yourself, they look hard but are very straight forward and simple to fill out, the guides are really good.....

good luck and just ask away if you need any help.

MR79
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
dont sell anything just yet, wait until you have the visa in your passport, same with job hunting, save it until you know you have the visa then you are free to leave at any point, you get 1 year from the medical to land and then you must reside in Canada 2 years out of 5 to retain residency or 3 out 5 for citizenship.....
It's 3 out of 4 for citizenship.

As for residency, time outside Canada with a Canadian spouse counts as if it was time in Canada (not for citizenship, however).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Both your children are Canadians, unless by some chance your wife is Canadian by descent and the second one was born on or after 17 april 2009 (in which case the second child is not Canadian).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

Make sure you and they (when older) understand the consequences of being a citizen "by descent".

Does your Canadian wife have British citizenship, if not, has she thought about naturalisation while still eligible?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi again all,

Had a fantastic xmas in New Brunswick and as per my earlier note, we're now in the process of gathering information in order to compete the mountain of paperwork to get my spousal application underway.

All seems relatively straightforward so i've taken the advice to complete the forms ourselves to save some money (after all, I'm pretty intelligent!)..

We have however already stumbled upon one question which we'd like some advice for please...

My wife is my sponsor as she is Canadian (by birth) and on her Sponsor Questionnaire form (IMM5540), question 11: Are you currently living in Canada? ... the answer is no (she lives here in London with me!).
You are then asked to complete the following points:

When do you plan to return to Canada to resume residency? (day/month/year)
Can we estimate this? How can we give a date when the whole thing rests with if I get PR / the application is succesful?

Were do you plan to live upon your return to Canada?
Although originally from New Brunswick, we're not sure where we are going to relocate to. Again, we will be looking into work / school options etc once we know we've been successful. What should we put here!?

Provide proof of your intention to re-establish in Canada. (Docs requested include job offer; property rental agreement/ property deed/ employment contract; letter of education acceptance; mortgage on property; other)
I intent to get my wife to give 'other' details explaining that we have a property here in London to sell with no mortgage (£350k approx value) however have not made other plans until the application is successful. Will this suffice as an answer? How can we provide any of the others as evidence given our current position / situation. The only alternative would be to say we'll be staying with the in-laws short term as our plans to re-establish in Canada before starting home/job hunting.

I'd appreciate any help / advice regarding the above. I'm sure we'll have some more questions as we progress so apologies in advance.

Thanks for your time
Chobert (and wife)
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Good morning, am going the same route, I asked the same question and was kindly told to put down what research you had been doing, looking at schools, housing , jobs in the area you are looking at moving too, hopefully that will suffice
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petesdragon
Good morning, am going the same route, I asked the same question and was kindly told to put down what research you had been doing, looking at schools, housing , jobs in the area you are looking at moving too, hopefully that will suffice
Good morning, thanks for your reply and good luck too! How are you finding the forms? Any other stumbling blocks you've come across that we should be aware of?

How far down the process are you?

Cheers,
Chobert

Last edited by chobert; Jan 17th 2010 at 7:32 pm. Reason: added bits!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Cactus Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Chobert,

I am starting the exact same route (me british her canadian - we already have UK common-in law visa as not married). I was reading the forms today and had queries in the exact areas you mentioned! Glad to see there are a few of us round and about the same stage.

Good luck with yours and hopefully we will both benefit from the expertise on this forum to get us through!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cactus Fan
Chobert,

I am starting the exact same route (me british her canadian - we already have UK common-in law visa as not married). I was reading the forms today and had queries in the exact areas you mentioned! Glad to see there are a few of us round and about the same stage.

Good luck with yours and hopefully we will both benefit from the expertise on this forum to get us through!
Hi Cactus Fan,
There certainly seems to be some great people on here and lots that have gone through the process so plenty of advice and help at hand. Good luck to you too - keep me posted how things go and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions around the application forms - I started working through ours last night and made a good start. They're less daunting than I first thought!
Where are you relocating to and what timeframe are you working to?
Cheers,
Chobert
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again all,

Had a fantastic xmas in New Brunswick and as per my earlier note, we're now in the process of gathering information in order to compete the mountain of paperwork to get my spousal application underway.

All seems relatively straightforward so i've taken the advice to complete the forms ourselves to save some money (after all, I'm pretty intelligent!)..

We have however already stumbled upon one question which we'd like some advice for please...

My wife is my sponsor as she is Canadian (by birth) and on her Sponsor Questionnaire form (IMM5540), question 11: Are you currently living in Canada? ... the answer is no (she lives here in London with me!).
You are then asked to complete the following points:

When do you plan to return to Canada to resume residency? (day/month/year)
Can we estimate this? How can we give a date when the whole thing rests with if I get PR / the application is succesful?
You can put a target date in there. This isn't a definite date nor will they hold you to it.

Were do you plan to live upon your return to Canada?
Although originally from New Brunswick, we're not sure where we are going to relocate to. Again, we will be looking into work / school options etc once we know we've been successful. What should we put here!?
Same as above. It's a target destination however they won't hold you to it. Feel free to put your wifes home town in NB.

Provide proof of your intention to re-establish in Canada. (Docs requested include job offer; property rental agreement/ property deed/ employment contract; letter of education acceptance; mortgage on property; other)
I intent to get my wife to give 'other' details explaining that we have a property here in London to sell with no mortgage (£350k approx value) however have not made other plans until the application is successful. Will this suffice as an answer? How can we provide any of the others as evidence given our current position / situation. The only alternative would be to say we'll be staying with the in-laws short term as our plans to re-establish in Canada before starting home/job hunting.
For this we provided a covering letter from my wifes (Canadian) father stating the fact that he confirms that we are moving to live in Canada upon success of application. We will reside at his place temporarily. We also stated that we would not attempt to sell property or gain employment until the application has been successful. This worked for us.

I'd appreciate any help / advice regarding the above. I'm sure we'll have some more questions as we progress so apologies in advance.

Thanks for your time
Chobert (and wife)
Some info in red above
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Hope to get the forms filled out by the end of Jan, apply for police checks from 3 countries Feb 1st then medical March 1st, the forms seem straight forward , have'nt got a credit card so will have to send a bank draft for payment so hope it all goes well
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

el_richo ... thanks very much for your answers, much appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.