Spousal Visa

Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Frazerito is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa

I have just started the process of applying for a common-law visa, sponsored by my Canadian partner. We are both in the UK. I would appreciate all and any help in securing a visa as quickly as possible from those who have gone through the process or who are currently doing so - anything they did that was successful, mistakes to be avoided etc.

I have written off for the application form as I was unsure precisely which one on the website was appropriate for applicants from outside Canada. I have also started the ball rolling for criminal checks from those countries in which I have lived for more than 6 months (apparently this takes a long time in the case of the US) and I am booked in for a medical. Does anyone have any pointers as to how I should proceed, what might speed things up, potential pitfalls etc? Again, I would be sincerely grateful. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa

My tip would be to leave the medical until the very last minute, that way you maximise your "landing window" when your visa is issued
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

Hi were in similar spot. Living in the UK, Hubby has dual nationality and is sponsoring me. Just been looking at the forms, where does it ask for police checks for countries you have lived in longer abroad longer than 6 months. I checked through could not see it. Have I missed something? JO
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:26 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Forms and instructions for sponsoring spouse or common-law partner from abroad (you need all 3 parts) are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Part A includes checklist - itemized for sponsor and referring sponsored person to the Immigration Guide. All region/country specific guides include checklist for sponsored spouse/partner and all of them ask for police certificates. In the West Europe specific guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

it is section 10 that asks clearly for police certificates.

If you can't see it (or worse - didn't even download the entire package yet) and/or you don't yet know that every person of 18 years or older (in some countries 16 years or older) needs police certificates then you may be heading for troubles.

I strongly suggest reading carefully all forms and instructions, then asking questions here (or directly asking authorized representative) before doing anything.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Feb 25th 2008 at 11:34 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advise. I have just booked a medical but I think I shall reschedule until later now.

I feel more confident with those guides - thank you Andrew Miller - and will check everything is in order with those. That should be all that is required right?

Again, many thanks for taking the time.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:04 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

we're applying the same route, my wife is canadian and we are going to submit the apps in May.

the onl thing worrying us is the sponsorship approval, as we're both in the UK right now, when we first move over, neither of us will be working right away, though we will have money to support ourselves from selling up over here, it's hard to prove that on an application.

one idea I had was to include our current mortgage statement along with a house evaluation in the application itself, to prove we have a lot of equity.

but from reading the CIC site and the sponsor forms, I don't think it matter so much, it's just a legal obligation meaning I don't have access to public funds for 2 years....is that right?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sheadboy
we're applying the same route, my wife is canadian and we are going to submit the apps in May.

the onl thing worrying us is the sponsorship approval, as we're both in the UK right now, when we first move over, neither of us will be working right away, though we will have money to support ourselves from selling up over here, it's hard to prove that on an application.

one idea I had was to include our current mortgage statement along with a house evaluation in the application itself, to prove we have a lot of equity.

but from reading the CIC site and the sponsor forms, I don't think it matter so much, it's just a legal obligation meaning I don't have access to public funds for 2 years....is that right?
what are the financial requirements?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:25 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

well if they are sponsoring you, they have to agree to support you, should the need arise for either 2 or 3 years. off the top of my head I can't remember.

so basically if you're not working your sponsor has to provide housing, food, dental care, your basic human needs...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Frazerito
could be a problem - she is returning to do a masters.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:27 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

Originally Posted by Frazerito

I believe it's on the CIC website, there's a matrix that gives a flat annual income to support your family unit which obviously rises if you have children.

let me try to find the link

found it

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/3900E2.asp

"When you sponsor persons who are members of the family class, you must sign an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (or with the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (MICC) if you live in Quebec) promising to provide financial support for their basic requirements and those of their family members immigrating to Canada with them. Basic requirements are food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements for everyday living. Dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services are also included. The undertaking ensures these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. Its length varies according to their age and/or their relationship to you.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin as soon as the person you are sponsoring and, if applicable, his or her family members arrive in Canada. The following table shows when your obligations end.

If that person or his or her family member is Your obligations end
your spouse or your common-law or conjugal partner three years after that person becomes a permanent resident"

Last edited by sheadboy; Feb 26th 2008 at 9:29 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sheadboy
I believe it's on the CIC website, there's a matrix that gives a flat annual income to support your family unit which obviously rises if you have children.

let me try to find the link

found it

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/3900E2.asp

"When you sponsor persons who are members of the family class, you must sign an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (or with the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (MICC) if you live in Quebec) promising to provide financial support for their basic requirements and those of their family members immigrating to Canada with them. Basic requirements are food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements for everyday living. Dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services are also included. The undertaking ensures these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. Its length varies according to their age and/or their relationship to you.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin as soon as the person you are sponsoring and, if applicable, his or her family members arrive in Canada. The following table shows when your obligations end.

If that person or his or her family member is Your obligations end
your spouse or your common-law or conjugal partner three years after that person becomes a permanent resident"
sheadboy, thank you very much. i shall look into how this can be achieved. quite like the idea of it being a legal obligation that i be looked after!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:19 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

me too,I keep threatening her that those 3 years will become known as my couch years