Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

spousal support inland application timelines

spousal support inland application timelines

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 4:14 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default spousal support inland application timelines

Hi all, once a British citizen marries a Canadian, does anyone know what the timeline is for any kind of visa to arrive (temp visa?) I have to apologize for my lack of terminology/info etc.
I am asking for someone else....
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 5:13 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: spousal support inland application timelines

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hi all, once a British citizen marries a Canadian, does anyone know what the timeline is for any kind of visa to arrive (temp visa?) I have to apologize for my lack of terminology/info etc.
Other people might be able to advise better on this but I am British and I am common law with a Canadian and we applied in January of this year and have so far gotten to the stage of medical passed but no sponsorship approval as yet and nothing further on the principal applicant side of things but we were told they hope to have it done within 12 months of the application being received/started processing.

As far as I can see from applications on the spreadsheet for outland, if that is an option it looks to be faster by a fair bit with average times being around 7-8 months in 2017. We are at 8 months now and still have no sponsorship approval so I am gonna guess we will be looking at 12 months anyway for our application.

That is only our experience but hope it helps to give a rough idea.

Last edited by Joepottinger; Sep 3rd 2018 at 5:14 pm. Reason: Typed 9 instead of 8 months
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, once the Spouse Application is submitted, for almost all of those I know about it takes approximately 12 months unless there is complexity. Sponsor approval typically happens very late on for an In Canada (SCLPC) App.
If a Work Permit is applied for at the same time as the spouse App is submitted, it usually arrives within 4 months, give or take. Again in the absence of complexity.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 3rd 2018 at 7:54 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 8:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The getting married to a Canadian doesn't give them any sort of temporary permit or visa. They would need their new spouse to apply to sponsor them for Permanent Residency. If they did so Inland then as Hurlabrick says, they could apply for an Open work permit.

If it's an interim thing your friend needs - i.e. between visitor status expiring and Spousal Sponsorship Permanent Residence COPR issue then they could apply online to extend their visitor status (or change their status to visitor if here on a temp work permit) - provided they apply before their current one expires - using the marriage as a reason for doing so.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...y-visitor.html

If you can give a few more details more advice can be given.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 3:05 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The getting married to a Canadian doesn't give them any sort of temporary permit or visa. They would need their new spouse to apply to sponsor them for Permanent Residency. If they did so Inland then as Hurlabrick says, they could apply for an Open work permit.

If it's an interim thing your friend needs - i.e. between visitor status expiring and Spousal Sponsorship Permanent Residence COPR issue then they could apply online to extend their visitor status (or change their status to visitor if here on a temp work permit) - provided they apply before their current one expires - using the marriage as a reason for doing so.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...y-visitor.html

If you can give a few more details more advice can be given.
nothing more to really add. They got married on Sunday and the Canadian is supporting the Brit through the spousal sponsorship route which they havent started yet but have all the paperwork ready, just waiting on the marriage certificate. I was just curious how long it may take.
I also heard that it makes no difference that they are married, is that the case? Also, if he, the Brit, needs to leave the country whilst this is in process, can he and will it cause issues returning? Right now, as far as immigration is concerned hes just a visitor.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:17 am
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point

nothing more to really add. They got married on Sunday and the Canadian is supporting the Brit through the spousal sponsorship route which they havent started yet but have all the paperwork ready, just waiting on the marriage certificate. I was just curious how long it may take.
I also heard that it makes no difference that they are married, is that the case? Also, if he, the Brit, needs to leave the country whilst this is in process, can he and will it cause issues returning? Right now, as far as immigration is concerned hes just a visitor.
Again as far as I know it doesn't make much of a difference if it was common law or marriage as far as time frame goes. I think its more based on the office it gets processed at and if there is any complexity to the application. On the second part about leaving, I think I saw that they suggest if you leave while the process is ongoing it is at your own risk cos if you get rejected at the border it can lead to rejection of the sponsorship application. The more experienced people might be able to tell you better though.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 2:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Could I suggest that you have a read of our wonderful wiki sections on Spousal Sponsorship... most of your questions (and theirs) will be answered - together with very helpful step by step guides to how to complete the forms.

Regardless of whether they are married of 'common law' unless they have been in a long term relationship they will have to supply lots of proof of their relationship together with other documentation, photos etc., - it's just a little easier if they are married. Do read the 'outland v inland' section too - there are benefits and pitfalls to both. Regarding timeline, as Joe said, it does depend on which office processes - but if it's an Inland application it may take a little longer... on the flipside, he can apply for an open work permit when he puts in the application for PR - it takes about 4 months for it to come through.

I do hope that he didn't lie about his reason for entering/visiting Canada, if he came with the intention of getting married and applying for PR rather than coming on holiday or similar.

If they intend to make an INLAND application, if he leaves pre-work permit issuance, he does risk potentially not being able to re enter the country and thus negating the application due to the requirement for an Inland application to be residing in Canada in order to be completed. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...r.asp?qnum=248

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 5th 2018 at 2:33 am.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 12:00 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Could I suggest that you have a read of our wonderful wiki sections on Spousal Sponsorship... most of your questions (and theirs) will be answered - together with very helpful step by step guides to how to complete the forms.

Regardless of whether they are married of 'common law' unless they have been in a long term relationship they will have to supply lots of proof of their relationship together with other documentation, photos etc., - it's just a little easier if they are married. Do read the 'outland v inland' section too - there are benefits and pitfalls to both. Regarding timeline, as Joe said, it does depend on which office processes - but if it's an Inland application it may take a little longer... on the flipside, he can apply for an open work permit when he puts in the application for PR - it takes about 4 months for it to come through.

I do hope that he didn't lie about his reason for entering/visiting Canada, if he came with the intention of getting married and applying for PR rather than coming on holiday or similar.

If they intend to make an INLAND application, if he leaves pre-work permit issuance, he does risk potentially not being able to re enter the country and thus negating the application due to the requirement for an Inland application to be residing in Canada in order to be completed. Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms
thank you. I have no idea what was said at the border and I hope he told them.....