Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal sponsorship when spouse over 65 years old

Spousal sponsorship when spouse over 65 years old

Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

bourguignone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal sponsorship when spouse over 65 years old

My fiance and I are planning on getting married this spring and want to do it right...Some questions I need help with:
1) Are we going to have a problem as he is 70 years old?? (I am 63) We are both very healthy..
2) He has worked at sea as a yacht captain for the last 30 years...no formal address... just stayed in Florida motels between jobs or visited relatives either in Canada or South Africa...Is that going to be a problem???
3) applying inland or in London ??? He has Irish passport (thru blood relative, never really has lived there) and South African, where he was born... if apply London, can he still come for 6 months and extend possibly his stay after that in legal fashion???
4) I was laid off a year and half ago... and still no job... hopefully soon... no longer on EI... living off of savings...will we be denied if we start process before I have job??? If I have a job, my history will show the 1 1/2 yr unemployed..(worked all my life before that)? I own my own condo...and he has $$$$.
I am concerned about all this as we are older...and time is precious at our age...Need advice how to handle all this... Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated...
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship when spouse over 65 years old

Just to say Welcome. You have found the right place,as there are people on here who are mines of information and will certainly be able to advise you on exactly where you stand and how best to proceed. Very best whishes.