Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship...supporting Documents

Spousal Sponsorship...supporting Documents

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of
Default Spousal Sponsorship...supporting Documents

I am just in the process of filling out my application for spousal sponsorship and I have a few questions!

As we are not married we need to send documents to prove our relationship.
I am thinking of sending a few cards/wedding invites that are addressed to both of us. Can I just photo copy these and send them or do I need to send the originals (if I do this will I get them back?) The guide says the document check list will tell you whether to send copies or originals....the document check list doesn't mention anything about christmas cards etc!

Also, am I right in thinking that we DON'T fill out the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union. That form is for people that have a co-signer, right?

Finally.....The photos have to be sent loose (not in binders etc). I was thinking of writing a short explanation and the date on the back of each photo. What did you guys do when you sent your photos in?

Sorry for the the questions. I just want to make sure I get this application right, and don't have any unnecessary delays!

Thanks Guys!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship...supporting Documents

We sent the originals of cards etc. Whether or not we'll get them back remains to be seen. I'm not overly worried about it, however, if I don't.

You are correct re. the statutory declaration!

Our photos were "loose" (I just left them in the envelope they came in when we had them printed. We dated them, labelled them (ie, brief description) and put our names on them. Again, don't know if we'll get them back, but again, they were duplicates printed specifically for this purpose so it didn't matter.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

Hi...thanks for the reply.

I'm not too worried if we don't get the cards back. I've been keeping hold of them specifically for this purpose!! In face I'll be quite happy when all this immigration clutter is gone!

Oh well, I really should get back to 'describing the development of our relationship!! I feel like I am writing an essay! I think I am going to have to re-read it and take a lot out! I don't want them to get bored reading my application!

Thanks again, and good luck with your application!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:41 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,
My fiance sponsored me and for supporting documentation we sent the following:

Photocopy of joint lease for apartment we lived in, Photocopies of motor insurance certificate showing both our names and address. Both had the same address on them as we're common-law, and that's what they are looking for.

We didn't have wedding invites at that point so we couldn't send them out.

We also sent photos (dated on the back and listing who is in them) of various trips we've been on (think this is one of the specific questions on the forms).

Describing the development of the relationship? Is that your wording or is that something on the form, if so, where, as I don't recall filling that out. I do remember answering questions on separate sheets, and one did ask how we met, but I don't recall anything specific about how the relationship developed. Is it perhaps the last question (I think it's the last one) where it asks you to put down any additional information you want to provide?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

That question was under the sponsored spouse/partner questionnaire.

The full question is 'Describe how your relationship developed after your first contact/meeting with your sponsor and if you or your sponsor dated or went on any outings or trips together. Provide photos and documentary evidence of events and activities in which you both participated.'

It's hard to know what is relevent to them (immigration). I don't want to miss out anything, but on the other hand I don't want to bore them to tears!!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

You will get it all back. I did although it takes a while.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waltzing Matilda
That question was under the sponsored spouse/partner questionnaire.

The full question is 'Describe how your relationship developed after your first contact/meeting with your sponsor and if you or your sponsor dated or went on any outings or trips together. Provide photos and documentary evidence of events and activities in which you both participated.'

It's hard to know what is relevent to them (immigration). I don't want to miss out anything, but on the other hand I don't want to bore them to tears!!
You have to do this for common-law and spousal.

I sent mine in bullet form, like the example below:
  • Met on xxxx date
  • developed relationship between xxx date and xxx date
  • Holiday to x during xxx month
  • She met my parents and sister in xxx month
  • Met her parents in xxx month
  • Spent christmas together during xxx years
  • moved in together in xxx month
  • holiday to xx in xxx month
  • proposed at xx during xxx month
  • married at xx during xxx month

Attach printouts of pictures of holidays, xmas, etc etc. For this i consolidated pictures of a couple of A4 sheets with written titles explaining each picture

That's a summary of what we did anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:24 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the trips question. I am not at home but I will di outbwhat I sent when I get back. I know that I did have a long list of trips with dates that we went on, I also supplied photos for at least five of thos trips and noted on the list which I had submitted pictures for and I also wrote whobwas in he pictures on the back of them along with the date.