Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship and Student Loans

Spousal Sponsorship and Student Loans

Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

richard37 is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal Sponsorship and Student Loans

User rodderzzz was asking about his Canadian spouse receiving student loans in the spousal sponsorship timeline thread the other day. I had the same question so I 'phoned CIC to ask about this.

A summary of what I was told: Whilst receiving financial assistance from the government is not allowed for sponsors and those being sponsored, CIC does not consider student loans to be financial assistance as they are to be paid back. However depending on the province, student loans may or may not be delivered through the same channels as government financial assistance. In these cases it may cause problems (this part was not totally clear). They told me to check with the provincial government.

I think this means it's ok for a sponsor to receive a student loan in BC but I'm not one-hundred percent sure of this.

I thought I would put this up here in case someone else could benefit.

Last edited by richard37; Jun 15th 2011 at 6:00 pm. Reason: Changed a couple of words for increased clarity.