Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship - Statutory Declarations from individuals

Spousal Sponsorship - Statutory Declarations from individuals

Old May 29th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

CannuckHeadingHome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship - Statutory Declarations from individuals

Hi Everyone,

I am Canadian/British Dual citizen sponsoring my common law partner of >20 years. We are both in the UK and we are applying Outland.

I have searched back through previous posts but could not find this specific issues addressed so hopefully someone can help. In the Country Specific Instructions Appendix A (Document checklist) #9 it asks for evidence of the relationship - no problem, I think that I have lots of evidence of that.

However, the last paragraph of #9 then states:
If you are a common-law or conjugal partner, provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and continuing and has existed for at least 12 months prior to your application. Also provide details of the history of your relationship and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal knowledge of your relationship supporting your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing.

So, what constitutes a statutory declaration in this case? I have seen form 5409 but that is for a co-signer so does not apply for us.

Does anyone have experience of providing these statutory declarations from friends or family ? Did you just provide letters or is there something more formal ? And finally, should these letters be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Sue
Old May 29th 2011, 8:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - Statutory Declarations from individuals

A statutory declaration is similar to an affidavit. You make written statement of facts. You take the statement to a commissioner of oaths who will confirm your identity then ask you if the statement is true to the best of your knowledge and belief. Once you have said yes they will write (or stamp) simething like:

sworn and declared before me at .... on ......... signed ......

This is considered the same as making a statement in court after taking an oath.

You will need two people who have known you for some time to make a written statement along the lines of:

I, ...... ........., have known CanuckHeadingHome for x number of years as a friend/colleague/patient/client. Throughout this time .............. has lived with .............. as man and wife/conjugal partners and that I believe this relationship is genuine and continuing.

and take it to a commissioner of oaths.
Old May 29th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JonboyE,

The requirement is for 2 declarations. Do you think that one declaration by 2 people would suffice (is this even possible)? Also, how do you think officials would react if we used family members such as my parents ? Do you think that they would prefer non-related individuals ?

Thanks again

Last edited by CannuckHeadingHome; May 29th 2011 at 9:02 pm. Reason: Oops - realised that I had misread JonboyE's post.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will need to be two separate declarations. As to whether your parents will work I just don't know. It seems logical to me that they would know best but whether or not this logic works for CIC is a different matter. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will be along soon.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:37 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

I sponsored my OH via common-law. We got my parents, his parents, and a friend to each write us a letter vouching for our relationship. The letters were never notarised and we had only been living together for 1 year at the point of application. Now, my OH has his Passport back with his Permanent Resident visa in it. A lot of common law applicants from BE seemed to do the same thing, by just providing letters that weren't notarised.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks again for the great help. My parents have already had letters signed by a Commissioner of Oaths in Canada so I have 2 but for the others I have asked for letters, I will not bother to get the notarised or co-signed.