Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship - sponsor receives social assistance for disability

Spousal Sponsorship - sponsor receives social assistance for disability

Old May 29th 2012, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

samtheskull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship - sponsor receives social assistance for disability

I'm in BC on a visitor visa with my girlfriend of one year and everything is going great - we want to get married.

CIC states that anyone receiving social assistance is ineligible to sponsor a spouse UNLESS it is for disability:

"You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:
[...]receive government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability"
In our case she receives full BC disability (PWD2 for anyone who knows the system) so we're hoping this won't be an obstacle in any way but there appears to be a process where the provincial and federal governments consult to confirm no benefits other than for disability are received.

Also, we're assuming that there is no requirement for minimum earnings in this scenario - PWD2 provides nowhere near the annual income suggested by CIC here and I've no idea whether this is relevant. Everything is as clear as mud!

So here's the questions:
  • Can she definitely sponsor me whilst receiving PWD2 for disability from BC?
  • If so, is it likely to take longer and is an outland application still possible?
  • Is there any requirement for minimum income?

Thanks for any advice or assistance, we need it!
Old May 29th 2012, 7:47 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - sponsor receives social assistance for disability

The problem here would be sincerity of the relationship. There is no minimum income so long as the person is not receiving welfare-like payments and disability is excluded in that regard.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - sponsor receives social assistance for disability

Hi Jim, thanks for replying. Do you mean there would be some additional scrutiny of our relationship because my partner receives social assistance for disability?

I'm not concerned about our relationship being questioned as there's nothing to hide and we can evidence this in the usual way. But it would be nice to know what angle you think the queries would come from. I accept that immigration officials probably approach most cases with a large dose of cynicism, but what would be the red flag here?

Thanks again.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:54 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Carefully follow the instructions in the guides for spousal sponsorship.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:12 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Can I be really blunt and put it right out there how I interpret Jim's statement regarding closer scrutiny of your relationship - please don't take this the wrong way but here goes.

It takes a really special person and a whole lot of love to commit to life with someone with a disability (you don't mention what her disability is however - but it seems severe enough for you to mention it).

On that note, people with such disabilities would have a harder time finding a succesful relationship and could (COULD not would) jump into the first one that they see because they are also aware of this fact.

Now, a predatory person, who would want to immigrate might see said person as a soft touch - so it would be way easier to fool them into believing that this relationship is forever and ever, and bobs your uncle - after pr is granted they are off quicker than a pint of milk in the Arizona desert.

On the flip side of the coin, said disabled person might want to be marrying someone for a better standard of living than what they are getting at the minute on nominal income - so it could be, for a short while, a symbiotic relationship, based on mutual short term needs as opposed to real emotion.

Like I said don't take that the wrong way but thats why I presume there will be added scrutiny - you guys will have to bust your chops to send them everything they need to believe it's genuine.

Best of luck to you both

x
Old May 30th 2012, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Hi Mandy, don't worry I've not taken anything you said personally. I'm not predatory, and she's not vulnerable. And I appreciate you weren't implying this was the case here - just that CIC might suspect it.

I'm not naive about our situation in the eyes of cynical officials who doubtless see many marriages of convenience, it's helpful to get a sense of how people with more experience of the system think our case will be viewed. We can only do what everyone else does in terms of evidence and hope it's enough.

Perhaps we can somehow address in our application the prejudice inherent in the assumption that people with disabilities must be poor and desperate for love, or their partners must have ulterior motives for loving them. Or at least do our best to dispel that notion from the outset.

Does anybody know of a couple who've been through this? Would be nice to hear how they did.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:37 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

oh good i'm glad you didn't take offence.

you can include letters of support from friends / family - birthday / anniversary cards, copies of emails to each other, obviously photos, just include lots on the personal / emotional side of the relationship