Spousal Sponsorship questions

Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Mattc24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship questions

Hi all,

Just joined the forum but have been reading for a little while. Its a great resource. I was hoping to clear up a couple of things with regard to spousal sponsorship that i cannot find any past posts referring to.

A quick bit of background.... My wife is Canadian (born and raised) moved to England in 2001. She has dual nationality (Canada and UK), her parents were born here and moved to Canada in the early 70's. We met shortly after her arrival here in 2001 and then we got married in 2005 (in England). We had a child together in 2006 and another in 2010. We have decided to relocate to Canada. We have had a mortgaged property jointly since 2003.

I have downloaded the forms for spousal sponsorship and we have been filling them over the last couple of nights. This has of course raised some questions. Firstly, it asks for lots of exact dates... ie when my wife met members of my family and visaversa. Now these meetings were years ago and neither of us can remember. How important is it that we try to figure out exact dates?
Also the forms asks for evidence such as photographs or proof of communication, i can find a few old pictures of us but have no other evidence such as bills etc? They have been disposed of over the years.

Lastly, our children are both citizens due to their mums Canadian citizenship. We completed the paperwork for proof of citizenship for our eldest a few years ago, but have not got around to this for our youngest. Do we have to include our youngest child in the sponsorship application or not due to his automatic right to citizenship?

I really appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks
Matt.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:02 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship questions

It's awesome that you've done some research on your own and have tried filling out the forms. This is the best way to ask questions. Thank you for doing that! Here we go.

Originally Posted by Mattc24
Hi all,

Just joined the forum but have been reading for a little while. Its a great resource. I was hoping to clear up a couple of things with regard to spousal sponsorship that i cannot find any past posts referring to.

A quick bit of background.... My wife is Canadian (born and raised) moved to England in 2001. She has dual nationality (Canada and UK), her parents were born here and moved to Canada in the early 70's. We met shortly after her arrival here in 2001 and then we got married in 2005 (in England). We had a child together in 2006 and another in 2010. We have decided to relocate to Canada. We have had a mortgaged property jointly since 2003.

I have downloaded the forms for spousal sponsorship and we have been filling them over the last couple of nights. This has of course raised some questions. Firstly, it asks for lots of exact dates... ie when my wife met members of my family and visaversa. Now these meetings were years ago and neither of us can remember. How important is it that we try to figure out exact dates?
As it was so long ago, you aren't going to remember the exact dates, and you won't be expected to. If you can get to the month that will be good enough. If it were me, I would just make a best guess, then on a separate sheet just explain what you have written above -- that these meetings took place 20 years ago and you can't remember the exact times, so you've made a best effort on when the meetings took place. Given you've been married for so long, I doubt CIC is going to get too worked up about it. They tend to look at that stuff closer when they doubt the genuineness of the relationship, or where there are more red flags generally. So just do a best effort, and explain on a separate paper that you've done that.

Also the forms asks for evidence such as photographs or proof of communication, i can find a few old pictures of us but have no other evidence such as bills etc? They have been disposed of over the years.
Just provide what you can. Surely you have some pictures at least from your wedding and such. You can't provide what you don't have, but see what you can dig up. Ask your friends and family if they have pictures as well. You don't need a ton. The pictures should basically tell a photo essay of your relationship. A few from when you were dating/engaged, a few from your wedding, a few of your relationship since - on honeymoon, on trips, with faily, with friends, with your kids, in your first house, whatever. The photos should tell the story of your relationship. If you are able to provide 2-3 pics per year since you've been together that means about 40 or so pictures, which is plenty.

Lastly, our children are both citizens due to their mums Canadian citizenship. We completed the paperwork for proof of citizenship for our eldest a few years ago, but have not got around to this for our youngest. Do we have to include our youngest child in the sponsorship application or not due to his automatic right to citizenship?

I really appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks
Matt.
Start the process now to get the documentation sorted for your youngest. Your children are CAnadian whether or not they have the proof of it, so they don't need to be included on your application, but they will need some documentation for when it comes time to actually move, so get on that now of getting the documentation sorted as I believe it can take awhile.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I'm sure we can dig out few pictures over the weekend!

With regards to the proof of citizenship, it does take quite a while. I recall that my daughters took around 13 months. The problem here is that we plan to move before that. Therefore are we going to run into problems when we arrive in Canada?

Thanks
Matt.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

I have more questions popping up! I have been gathering up evidence today for our application. Photos and paperwork etc. I have made some photo copies of insurance, mortgage and hmrc documents with our names and address on. Have i read it right that i have to have all of these copies sign by an appropriate person to prove its a true copy?

Thanks
Matt.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 1:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mattc24
Hi,

I have more questions popping up! I have been gathering up evidence today for our application. Photos and paperwork etc. I have made some photo copies of insurance, mortgage and hmrc documents with our names and address on. Have i read it right that i have to have all of these copies sign by an appropriate person to prove its a true copy?

Thanks
Matt.
Hello!

You misread that. Regular photocopies are fine unless something on the checklist specifically requests a certified copy. So you can just do normal copies and send those off. If CIC has any questions or doubts they'll ask you either to send the originals, or to send certified copies, but for your initial application, regular photocopies are totally fine.

And to answer your previous post about moving before your daughter's citizenship comes through, if I'm not mistaken, just take the proof you do have to the border with you - all the stuff that proves your kid is a Canuck, and you should be just fine. If you do a search on here you'll find tons of other threads of people asking the same - and I suggest you do that and don't count on what I said here as I'm half asleep, possibly misremembering, and way too tired to go and look it up myself!

Good luck! Be sure to post back when you've sent your app off so you can be added to the trusty-dusty spreadsheet!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for taking the time once again. I will do some searching through the forums.