Spousal sponsorship question

Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal sponsorship question

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I have a couple of questions...

I'm currently on a work permit working in Toronto, it is a 1 year permit but I can extend it. However, as my husband is Candian we are going to apply for PR via the spousal sponsorship route. My questions are:
Can I still apply outlands via London if I am already living here?

Will it take longer for my husband to be approved as a sponsor if we are already living in Canada?

How long will they need my passport for? I have a trip booked back to the UK in April and will obviously need my passport for that.

Anyhelp gratefully received!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship question

yes

No

You dont have to send it off till they ask, your holiday wont be a problem

do a search to find lots of threads on outland applications from within canada - the process is usually very quick and easy
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Note that applying out-of-canada is a faster process.

This may not be an issue for you, since you have a work permit, but there is also OHIP coverage for PR applicants. For out-of-Canada applicants it starts (three months from) when your husband gets the sponsorship confirmation letter. See http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8457884
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, but I have OHIP Coverage as I am on a work permit. Back to my original question, which application pack should I use? Should I use the pack for application within Canada or outwith? I guess using the within one will take a lot longer but should I use that one as I am living here? If I go the other route should I just use the address of my parents or something? Is this an acceptable route to take?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

use the outland application. it doesnt matter that you are doing it whilst living in canada.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Out of Canada is faster. But - getting passports back and forth across the Atlantic is the risk. Ours got lost by Royal Mail on the way from UK back to Canada. Most people seem to have no problems though.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:40 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a lot of people in canada use the outland route as it's faster, I'm one of those who did not and used the inland route, took about 8 - 9 months, and outland is meant to be, if it's a simple app, a lot less than that, I'd say a max of 6, probably more like 2 - 4 months.

Why did I do inland? well, I was in Canada at the time and so it seemed odd to do it outland, plus I'd not researched at all about the outland route.
The other factor was that if I applied outland and was called for an interview, then I'd have to fly over to the UK, possibly with my sponsor, at fairly short notice, and we all know how expensive short notice flights can be, along with both of us having to take time off work.

There is also, as others have mentioned, the possibility of documents getting lost, that's not to say Canada Post wouldn't lose them as well, but more distance = a bit more risk / chance, and with something like a passport, I'm wary.

Good luck with the application
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

I was planning on going outlands so I could get it before my work permit expires in november (although I can renew it).in everyone's experience how likely is an interview in London?is it commonplace or in unusual or suspicious cases? Thanks for the help!