Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal sponsorship and proof of child custody

Spousal sponsorship and proof of child custody

Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

ptomlin01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal sponsorship and proof of child custody

We are in the process of getting together our spousal sponsorship application.

I wonder if anyone has any advice or information regarding my children who live with me and will be my sponsors stepchildren.

I have their fathers declaration of consent all signed and notarized saying he is happy for them to go (I downloaded this from the cic website)

On the appendix A checklist for childrens information it states to include "proof that you have custody of the children"

There are no quarrells between me and their father and there is no mention of custody in our divorce papers/consent order which was finalized just last year.

Do I have to obtain something from the court for proof of custody or is the signed declaration from their father enough..??

(Their ages are 20, 18, 15 and 12)

All replies greatly appreciated..
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship and proof of child custody

Originally Posted by ptomlin01

I wonder if anyone has any advice or information regarding my children who live with me and will be my sponsors stepchildren.

I have their fathers declaration of consent all signed and notarized saying he is happy for them to go (I downloaded this from the cic website)

On the appendix A checklist for childrens information it states to include "proof that you have custody of the children"

There are no quarrells between me and their father and there is no mention of custody in our divorce papers/consent order which was finalized just last year.

Do I have to obtain something from the court for proof of custody or is the signed declaration from their father enough..??

Children aged 20 and 18 are adults and don't need permission/consent from anyone.

The signed declaration from their father should be enough.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ptomlin01

Had to do the same for my kids; consent form notarized from their dad was sufficient. We've got our visas!
(Canadian High Commission did ring him and me to check details, they also rang the police officer who signed our forms!)
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
Had to do the same for my kids; consent form notarized from their dad was sufficient.
It was the same for us. Although in our case it was my children's mother but it all went smoothly.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

ptomlin01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.. great advice and another worry off my mind..