Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship from OUTside Canada?

Spousal Sponsorship from OUTside Canada?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

KimS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship from OUTside Canada?

Hello,

I am a Canadian currently living in the UK with my British husband of 5 years. I have been away from Canada for 8 years, but we both wish to live there in the near future. We are unsure to how best to tackle obtaining PR for KeithS.

I have looked at the CIC site with regard to sponsoring KeithS, but all mention seems to suggest that most people sponsor their spouses/family from within Canada. I was wondering if there is no way we can begin the process (or at least submit the paperwork) while we are both resident in the UK?

Would it be more advantageous if I just took my spouse to Canada on his visitor's permit and began applying from within?

Additionally, whereas I did not alert the government to my leaving Canada 8 years ago, do I have to worry about my own status? (I have been able to obtain a new Canadian passport after the expiration of my old one while in the UK - I presume I'm still Canadian!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:16 am
Just Joined

tony_ZZZ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship from OUTside Canada?

As a Canadian Citizen you have the right to sponsor your spouse while residing outside of Canada. I did the same with my wife, we both lived in Arizona throughout the sponsorship process.

Actually, your spouse will most probably not be required to attend an interview if you are both living together in a foreign Country at the same address (include proof of this with your application ... ie joint bank account showing same address, joint utility bill showing same address ...etc). This will heavily weigh in your favor proving that your relationship is a bona fide one.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tony_ZZZ
As a Canadian Citizen you have the right to sponsor your spouse while residing outside of Canada. I did the same with my wife, we both lived in Arizona throughout the sponsorship process.

Actually, your spouse will most probably not be required to attend an interview if you are both living together in a foreign Country at the same address (include proof of this with your application ... ie joint bank account showing same address, joint utility bill showing same address ...etc). This will heavily weigh in your favor proving that your relationship is a bona fide one.
Very many thanks, tony_zzz,

I was just reaching the determination that it couldn't be done from outside, so this is a relief.

Best regards,

Kim
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

willhrhodes is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Spousal Sponsorship from OUTside Canada?

We both live in California...I am American, he is Canadian. In small print somewhere in the application, it does say you can sponsor from outside Canada....you just have to give a letter stating your intent to move back to Canada as soon as he gets his PR. My sponsor was approved and now I am waiting for any news! Good Luck.

Originally Posted by KimS
Very many thanks, tony_zzz,

I was just reaching the determination that it couldn't be done from outside, so this is a relief.

Best regards,

Kim
Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by willhrhodes
We both live in California...I am American, he is Canadian. In small print somewhere in the application, it does say you can sponsor from outside Canada....you just have to give a letter stating your intent to move back to Canada as soon as he gets his PR. My sponsor was approved and now I am waiting for any news! Good Luck.
Thanks, willhrhodes, and best of luck to you, too! Hope you love Canada as much as I do!
Old Aug 19th 2004, 10:56 pm
Ay-Im from Blackburn me

royyboy will become famous soon enough

Hi there.
Me and my wife are currently doing exactly the same thing, she's Canadian, im a brit.
If it would help, we have copies of all forms, so it wont take long for me to compile a list of the emm numbered docs you need, and how to go about it...
Hope this may be of some help to you.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:18 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Have a look at the information here:

All about spouses...

I am another Rhodes moving to Canada. My wife is Canadian, and we applied from England, where we live.

Oh, and if you're a Canadian citizen, you remain so, and any children will automatically be Canadian citizens.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Lori6666 is an unknown quantity at this point

My spouse and I applied from outside canada (in Australia). Now - don't quote me on this - but I thought I read somewhere that visas from outside canada actually take less time to process than from within.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:51 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lori6666
My spouse and I applied from outside canada (in Australia). Now - don't quote me on this - but I thought I read somewhere that visas from outside canada actually take less time to process than from within.
I think that the CIC website explains that the streamlined process, whereby the applicant hads the medical and police check done in advance, is only available for those applying from outside Canada.

I don't think it really makes a vast amount of difference in terms of time, from what I can gather, but at least if you apply from outside, you can work as soon as you get there. If you are in the country as a visitor, you can't work.