Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal sponsorship medical question

Spousal sponsorship medical question

Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

nalin56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal sponsorship medical question

Hello everyone

I am putting together my paperwork (spousal sponsorship) and need to have a medical done. I have read a lot of info regarding what conditions would cause you to be refused permanent residency. I was led to believe that you would only be refused if your condition was a danger to public health or safety like a contageous disease. I have just read the following in CIC website

Medical Requirements

You and your family members, whether accompanying you or not, must undergo and pass a medical examination in order to come to Canada. To pass the medical examination you or your family members must not have a condition that:
•is a danger to public health or safety
•would cause excessive demand on health or social services in Canada.

Examples of “excessive demand” include ongoing hospitalization or institutional care for a physical or mental illness.

I have multiple sclerosis and I thought that it was only if you applied as a FSW that I would be refused.
Can anyone elaborate on 'excessive demand?' I do not require hospitalization for my condition.

thanks in advance
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship medical question

Hi

Originally Posted by nalin56
Hello everyone

I am putting together my paperwork (spousal sponsorship) and need to have a medical done. I have read a lot of info regarding what conditions would cause you to be refused permanent residency. I was led to believe that you would only be refused if your condition was a danger to public health or safety like a contageous disease. I have just read the following in CIC website

Medical Requirements

You and your family members, whether accompanying you or not, must undergo and pass a medical examination in order to come to Canada. To pass the medical examination you or your family members must not have a condition that:
•is a danger to public health or safety
•would cause excessive demand on health or social services in Canada.

Examples of “excessive demand” include ongoing hospitalization or institutional care for a physical or mental illness.

I have multiple sclerosis and I thought that it was only if you applied as a FSW that I would be refused.
Can anyone elaborate on 'excessive demand?' I do not require hospitalization for my condition.

thanks in advance

Spouses and dependent children are excessive demand exempt. So as you are sponsored spouse, ED doesn't apply to you.