Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

spousal sponsorship from inside canada

spousal sponsorship from inside canada

Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

miranecola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spousal sponsorship from inside canada

Hi everyone..my situation is this:
my husband is a canadian citizen and we'll be moving to toronto in May and wish for him to sponsor me after we arrive. when entering the airport do we have to make clear that he wishes to sponsor me? or do i just enter as a visitor and not need to mention it? (i have a british passport so can stay for 6 months anyway)

Also wanted to know if im allowed to work during the time im being sponsored or do i have to wait until i've recieved permanent residence?

Can anyone shed any light if they've been through same process?
Thanks.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spousal sponsorship from inside canada

Originally Posted by miranecola
Hi everyone..my situation is this:
my husband is a canadian citizen and we'll be moving to toronto in May and wish for him to sponsor me after we arrive. when entering the airport do we have to make clear that he wishes to sponsor me? or do i just enter as a visitor and not need to mention it? (i have a british passport so can stay for 6 months anyway)

Also wanted to know if im allowed to work during the time im being sponsored or do i have to wait until i've recieved permanent residence?

Can anyone shed any light if they've been through same process?
Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You can enter as a visitor, no need to mention the sponsorship. And no, you can't work at all until you have your PR.

Out of interest, why is he not sponsoring you now? Then you'd have PR before you get to Canada (or shortly after arriving), so much easier and simpler all round! But I'm assuming you have a specific reason for him not having sponsored you already.

Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for such quick reply..

well we are not actually officially married yet..we will be in may and will move straight after the wedding..so thats why we haven't applied from here(we live in egypt). so thats why we're taking the inland route.
Thats really disappointing that i cant work until i get PR!
Does my husband have to have proof of income or can proof of sufficient funds be enough for him to be eligable to sponsor me?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for such quick reply..

well we are not actually officially married yet..we will be in may and will move straight after the wedding..so thats why we haven't applied from here(we live in egypt). so thats why we're taking the inland route.
Thats really disappointing that i cant work until i get PR!
Does my husband have to have proof of income or can proof of sufficient funds be enough for him to be eligable to sponsor me?

Thanks so much for your help.
OK, so you don't live together? (sorry for the personal questions!).

I don't believe your husband has to show proof of income as he's a citizen, but if you look at the CIC website it'll tell you for definite.

Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

hehe no problem..yeah we're still engaged.
well thanks you've been a great help
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

hehe no problem..yeah we're still engaged.
well thanks you've been a great help
That's ok, was just checking that he couldn't sponsor you as his common-law spouse rather than waiting for the wedding, but obviously not if you don't live together.

Congratulations in advance for the wedding.