Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal sponsorship - inland versus outside - plz helpp

Spousal sponsorship - inland versus outside - plz helpp

Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

kiny1919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal sponsorship - inland versus outside - plz helpp

I am a US citizen and my husband is Canadian. I am in Canada for a long visit and we decided to apply for my immigration status and we were about to file for the in-land application when someone told us that the fastest route would be to apply as a visitor or from outside Canada. We have all the paperwork ready for the in-land application and now we are very confused as what to do. From what we have been researching on this site and others is that it takes longer for u to get the visa if u are in Canada even if it's a spousal visa as opposed to if u were living outside of the country. Is that true? Any expert advice would be duly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:49 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship - inland versus outside - plz helpp

If you are living outside of Canada with your Canadian spouse, you can only submit an outland sponsorship / permanent residence application package.

If you are living in Canada with your Canadian spouse, you have the option of submitting an inland or outland sponsorship / permanent residence application package.

If you are living in Canada with your Canadian spouse, and if there is some weird reason why you cannot leave Canada, your only option is to submit an inland sponsorship / permanent residence application package.

If you choose to submit an outland application, you normally would have to submit it to the Canadian mission that handles visa applications for citizens of your country. You do not have to leave Canada to do this. You can mail or courier your application to the relevant Canadian mission in the USA.

If, however, you and your Canadian spouse are living in a third country, say Italy for example, you have the additional option of submitting your application to the Canadian mission that handles visa applications from Italy.

If, later in the process, you are asked to attend an interview, that interview would take place at the visa office to which you had submitted your application. If you had submitted your application to a Canadian visa office in another country (in your case, the USA), you would need to be able to travel to that country for the interview if necessary. In many cases, however, visa offices issue permanent residence visas to sponsored spouses without requesting interviews.

An inland application takes twice as long to be processed as an outland application. The difference in processing times has nothing to do with the location of the applicant. That is, there is that significant difference in processing times between the two kinds of applications, even when the applicants are located in Canada.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Mar 4th 2008 at 12:58 pm. Reason: Added explanation about location of interview, if needed.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Judy, thank you soo much for the clear and precise reply. We are now leaning towards the outland application even though I would be staying with him in Canada and if need be we might apply for the temporary extension of stay. Right now I have been in Canada for about a month now and my passport was not stamped by the immigration officials this time when I was entering Canada. So, I am hoping it won't impose any problems for us later on. Also, just out of curiosity, if we did go through the inland route, how long would it have taken for me to get the work permit? Would it be same or longer than getting my status through the outland route? Thanks once again!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:40 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiny1919
Also, just out of curiosity, if we did go through the inland route, how long would it have taken for me to get the work permit? Would it be same or longer than getting my status through the outland route?
You can apply for work permit once you get Approval in Principle - currently it takes about 6 months. Add to it about 5 weeks for work permit process. Both processing times fluctuate quite rapidly and most of the time when AIP processing time in Vegreville gets down to 5-6 months it within next month or two goes back up to 8 to 9+ timeline. So, is is likely to be the case when your application will get there.

On the other hand in the sponsorship from abroad route the approval of sponsor in Mississauga takes 30 to 35 days (steady for past few years) and after that PR stage in Buffalo 2 to 4 months at present for well prepared application. Poorly prepared cases and/or subject to more complex background/security check may take quite longer in Buffalo.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You can apply for work permit once you get Approval in Principle - currently it takes about 6 months. Add to it about 5 weeks for work permit process. Both processing times fluctuate quite rapidly and most of the time when AIP processing time in Vegreville gets down to 5-6 months it within next month or two goes back up to 8 to 9+ timeline. So, is is likely to be the case when your application will get there.

On the other hand in the sponsorship from abroad route the approval of sponsor in Mississauga takes 30 to 35 days (steady for past few years) and after that PR stage in Buffalo 2 to 4 months at present for well prepared application. Poorly prepared cases and/or subject to more complex background/security check may take quite longer in Buffalo.
Mr. Andrew thanks a lot for the valuable information. I have two more questions. We just found out that we need to get my FBI fingerprints as well for the outland route. I have the police clearance from the US but not the fingerprints as they weren't required for the inland route. Anyway, I am thinking of going to any Comissionaries in Canada to get them and then mail them out to the FBI but I am a bit skeptical that this might delay our case further. Is it ok if we just send out our outland application since we have all the paperwork and documentary evidence in place along with a letter stating that we are still waiting for the FBI fingerprints and will provide them as soon as we receive them?

Also, I already got my medical done a few days ago for the in-land route so what do I do now? Is that medical still valid for the outland application? Do I need to call someone to rectify that cuz at the time of the med the doc asked me is it for inland or abroad and I said in-land and he wrote something somewhere. I am hoping it won't create problems. Will appreciate a reply. Thanks.

Last edited by kiny1919; Mar 5th 2008 at 2:36 am. Reason: need to add something