Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship - how do you describe relationship?

Spousal Sponsorship - how do you describe relationship?

Old Mar 1st 2020, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

g0ldfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship - how do you describe relationship?

Hey there - I'm filling out the Sponsorship Evaluation and Questionnaire (IMM 5532) and I've reached the point where they begin asking about first contact between my spouse and I, and that sort of thing.

What overall "tone" should I use filling this out? My inclination is to make it formal and literal - "The sponsor first encountered the principal applicant... The principal applicant first visited the sponsor in-person..." that type of thing. Is that appropriate, or is it cold and impersonal in such a way as to undermine our relationship?

My wife and I have been married and living together since 2013, so I'm confident in the "appearance" of our relationship, but I feel like every bit counts with these forms.

Let me know. Thanks!
Old Mar 1st 2020, 4:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - how do you describe relationship?

Originally Posted by g0ldfinger
Hey there - I'm filling out the Sponsorship Evaluation and Questionnaire (IMM 5532) and I've reached the point where they begin asking about first contact between my spouse and I, and that sort of thing.

What overall "tone" should I use filling this out? My inclination is to make it formal and literal - "The sponsor first encountered the principal applicant... The principal applicant first visited the sponsor in-person..." that type of thing. Is that appropriate, or is it cold and impersonal in such a way as to undermine our relationship?

My wife and I have been married and living together since 2013, so I'm confident in the "appearance" of our relationship, but I feel like every bit counts with these forms.

Let me know. Thanks!
Do have a read over the sections in our wonderful wiki on Sponsorship applications - every document is discussed
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ

From the wiki -

Question 9: How detailed do I have to be about how our relationship developed?

This should be your 'love story'. It should make it clear how your relationship developed, and should include major milestones in your relationship (without being X-rated!). Include things like when you first said I love you, when you moved in together, trips you took, when you met family members, and so on. You will definitely need a separate sheet to write out your story. Don't be surprised if it's a few pages long. Be honest.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 1st 2020 at 4:27 am.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know. Thanks!
+1 what Siouxie said.

I wrote ours the way I would write it in a letter to a relative. In the first person and I didn't avoid word like 'love', but equally didn't overuse it. Mine was about 2 / 3 pages long FYI.

You really really should read the wiki!
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do have a read over the sections in our wonderful wiki on Sponsorship applications - every document is discussed
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ

From the wiki -
Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
+1 what Siouxie said.

I wrote ours the way I would write it in a letter to a relative. In the first person and I didn't avoid word like 'love', but equally didn't overuse it. Mine was about 2 / 3 pages long FYI.

You really really should read the wiki!
I appreciate the replies and the guidance!

I've been using the Wikis as a resource. I didn't realize that there was second wiki for pre-2016 forms, which seems like it has some information that the new form doesn't have on it.

Siouxie/Hurlabrick - on the newer Sponsor/Applicant Questionnaire, it looks like some of the relationship details are broken out into multiple questions, and it looks like the overall questions have changed quite a bit. I've not seen the old forms, but based on the wiki/your responses, it seems like there are some differences.

However, it sounds like my responses are a little too formal and robotic lol. It sounds like it would be better if I, the sponsor, wrote in the first person as if I was detailing to a relative.

Should I attach an extra sheet and answer the questions there to allow for sufficient detail?

Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the responses! Sorry for being a pest, but I obsess over the fine details in this type of thing.

Also - is the name a reference to Siouxie and the Banshees? My wife loves that band!
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 4:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate the replies and the guidance!

I've been using the Wikis as a resource. I didn't realize that there was second wiki for pre-2016 forms, which seems like it has some information that the new form doesn't have on it.

Siouxie/Hurlabrick - on the newer Sponsor/Applicant Questionnaire, it looks like some of the relationship details are broken out into multiple questions, and it looks like the overall questions have changed quite a bit. I've not seen the old forms, but based on the wiki/your responses, it seems like there are some differences.

However, it sounds like my responses are a little too formal and robotic lol. It sounds like it would be better if I, the sponsor, wrote in the first person as if I was detailing to a relative.

Should I attach an extra sheet and answer the questions there to allow for sufficient detail?

Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the responses! Sorry for being a pest, but I obsess over the fine details in this type of thing.

Also - is the name a reference to Siouxie and the Banshees? My wife loves that band!
Think of the 'how the relationship developed' as writing your personal love story - telling a friend or relative. Don't make if formal or impersonal - because that will ring alarm bells... you basically want to show the examining officer that your relationship is genuine, loving and ongoing. Try to look at it from a strangers point of view - If you were to write "the sponsor met the applicant at a public house on 23rd March 2011 and established communications, which were ongoing for the next 6 months, during which time both parties attempted to meet or talk on a regular basis and met each others family and friends," - sound as convincing as "I met Sirah at my local pub,on a Saturday night in March 2011, I was introduced to her by my friend and we spent a fun evening together.. Over the next few weeks we met as often as we could and our relationship started to develop into something more serious, we went away for weekends together. (here would be a good point to list a few places you went together, especially if you have any photos)and met each others friends and family.... Our first Christmas together we spent part of it with with her family and part with mine... " Which would be more convincing? You don't have to get 'soppy' but it should be genuine and reveal some feelings.

Hope that helps a little

(as to the name, yes, partly - although mine is spelled a little differently )

Your wife will probably want to write one for 'her' part of the application - yes, you can add extra sheets (mine was 2 pages just for the 'how the relationship developed' part).

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2020 at 4:24 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Forms change over time, so discount my advice as you see fit (I applied Oct 2017)

For balance, I did a minimal application. The section you mention in IMM 5532 I wrote two short sentences. Just the facts.

I don't think I filled in form IMM 5490 - I don't recognise it now.

I didn't (and wouldn't if I were you) bother to attach extra pages of detailed history of our relationship.

Just answer the questions they ask succinctly.

Marriage fraud for UK applicants has to be super low. Spare whoever has to read all these forms the unnecessary word count. IMHO.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Will_PA
Forms change over time, so discount my advice as you see fit (I applied Oct 2017)

For balance, I did a minimal application. The section you mention in IMM 5532 I wrote two short sentences. Just the facts.

I don't think I filled in form IMM 5490 - I don't recognise it now.

I didn't (and wouldn't if I were you) bother to attach extra pages of detailed history of our relationship.

Just answer the questions they ask succinctly.

Marriage fraud for UK applicants has to be super low. Spare whoever has to read all these forms the unnecessary word count. IMHO.
I'm glad that you responded - I was re-reading the other responses earlier and began to get the impression that they were filling out an older form. The new questionnaire doesn't really give you an opportunity to write much of a "love story." It all seems quite factual. The section doesn't really specify who should be "responding" to the question. It says it's for both parties, so that's why I kind of got hung up on the details.

Did you write your response to that question in first person, or third person like I did?

Let me know. Thanks!

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 12:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxsie's advice nailed it.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 1:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Siouxsie's advice nailed it.
Yes she did. We attached separate sheets of paper with our stories written in the first person.... Exactly how Siouxsie recommended.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know. Thanks!
I used first person but then made clear who was responding. I'll DM you that bit if my form.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

I used first person but then made clear who was responding. I'll DM you that bit if my form.
I couldn't attach a pic but sent you the text.

Writing an essay doesn't count against you, just not necessary in my experience.

You've been together 7 years ffs. I'd concentrate on making everything complete and accurate, having fresh eyes check it over, rather than trying to prove anything.

I was eligible, so I just put minimal info down.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

I'm glad that you responded - I was re-reading the other responses earlier and began to get the impression that they were filling out an older form.
Yeah it might be helpful if people responding include when they applied. My advice may well be wrong if forms have changed since Oct 2017.

But it never crossed my mind to attach extra pages (except to explain something that doesn't fit in the form, e.g. "this doc isn't available due to xxx, so I included yyy'). The size of the box they gave me was the clue to max I should write, and I tried to write in as few words as possible, as I would normally anyway.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 4:54 am
Banned

I'm glad that you responded - I was re-reading the other responses earlier and began to get the impression that they were filling out an older form. The new questionnaire doesn't really give you an opportunity to write much of a "love story." It all seems quite factual. The section doesn't really specify who should be "responding" to the question. It says it's for both parties, so that's why I kind of got hung up on the details.

Did you write your response to that question in first person, or third person like I did?

Let me know. Thanks!
Do have a good read of the guides in the wiki - there are 3 sets of documentation that need to be filled out - Forms for the Sponsor and Forms for the Applicant... and Forms for Both.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...-Canada/FAQ_-_New_Application_Forms
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...ipal_Applicant

We ask that you don't ask or give Immigration advice via PM's please. Every persons' application is different and it's a better idea to have any questions and answers in plain view so that if you are given erroneous information (however well meant) it can be quickly corrected. Nobody wants to have their application turned down or rejected due to advice being wrong.. things change quickly when it comes to Immigration matters
See: Do not send PMs/emails asking private immigration questions

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 3rd 2020 at 5:11 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 4:56 am
Banned

Yeah it might be helpful if people responding include when they applied. My advice may well be wrong if forms have changed since Oct 2017.

But it never crossed my mind to attach extra pages (except to explain something that doesn't fit in the form, e.g. "this doc isn't available due to xxx, so I included yyy'). The size of the box they gave me was the clue to max I should write, and I tried to write in as few words as possible, as I would normally anyway.
You applied Inland I believe? (you may not have had to fill out all the same forms, necessarily) Did you use the wiki guides at all? Hundreds of our members have used the guides and successfully gained PR.. that's what they are there for, to help

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=016&top=4
I don’t have enough space on the form to explain everything. What should I do?
If you need more space to explain your situation, attach a separate sheet of paper. On the paper, give the full answer. Write the letter or number of the question you are answering.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 3rd 2020 at 5:12 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You applied Inland I believe? (you may not have had to fill out all the same forms, necessarily) Did you use the wiki guides at all? Hundreds of our members have used the guides and successfully gained PR.. that's what they are there for, to help

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=016&top=4
Yes I used the wiki, and asked questions here. The help was invaluable. Thank you again to everyone who contributed.

But the group think on this thread is "add extra pages, it worked for me".

I'm adding that in my case I wrote as minimal answers as possible while still covering off the questions. Lots of empty white space. And it worked for me too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.