Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship - COPR been mailed but medical due to expire

Spousal Sponsorship - COPR been mailed but medical due to expire

Old Oct 9th 2016, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Mark_McCulloch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship - COPR been mailed but medical due to expire

Hey guys,

Looking for some reassurance/advice...

So I received an email on Friday evening (7 Oct) informing that my PR application has been completed and that Confirmation of PR has been mailed out to me. While this is great news, it is a lot quicker than I was expecting and we are nowhere ready to move. We sent our application from the UK in on June 2016 and processing of sponsorship started on 27 June and processing of my PR application started on 12 August. We were expecting it to take close to another year for completion of processing.

Great news that it has been so quick, but I jumped the gun with my medical as I didn't realise the amount of work and time required to complete the application. I had my medical carried out on 29 October 2015 so it expires in 20 days. I was fully expecting to be asked to submit another medical in a few months time.

According to the wiki, which was super helpful for completing our application, you have one year from when medical was done to land.
As my medical will be 1 year old on 29 October 2015 do you expect my COPR letter will tell me to land before 29 October 2016?

I understand I can land and activate my PR and then come back to the UK. This is what I plan to do. But the short notice of booking flights, getting leave from work and putting together a goods to follow list is making me a little jittery. Is this a normal scenario when applying for spousal sponsorship?

I really hope my COPR arrives before my medical runs out...has it ever arrived after anyone's medical has expired?
Old Oct 9th 2016, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - COPR been mailed but medical due to expire

Its quite possible the medical validity has been extended. When the COPR arrives look for the expiry date.
On the form you will see APPLICATION DETAILS and to the far right VALID TO
https://www.google.ca/search?q=copr+...vkvYjRD6q1M%3A
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:59 am
Just Joined

I appreciate the response, thanks. Hopefully that is the case. Anxious wait until COPR arrives...
Old Oct 11th 2016, 1:44 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark_McCulloch
I appreciate the response, thanks. Hopefully that is the case. Anxious wait until COPR arrives...
Let us know what COPR says when it arrives. CIC may have extended it (they don't inform the applicant of this unless the applicant has specifically emailed to ask about it)... sometimes they extend it a full year, sometimes just a few months to give you a bit more landing time, and sometimes you receive COPR to find that you have a week to land.

Rest assured at least that your landing is NOT the same as your moving. IF you get your COPR and it has a tight window to land, all it means is you have to show up in Canada, copmlete your landing, and then you can turn around and go straight back to the UK and move later. (We did this - landed 4 days before COPR expired, stayed for a 2 week trip, went back to the UK. Went back to Canada a few months later for another 2-week trip, back to the UK, then moved properly a few months after that.)

Have a read of this: Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

GLad you also found the FAQ useful!

Lastly, I don't see you on the spreadsheet... mind providing your details so I can add you? IT's always useful to have more applicants on there! The link is in my signature, should be obvious from the chart what info we need! Post it her or PM it to me!

And... CONGRATS!
Old Oct 12th 2016, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot. That is reassuring and the Landing Wiki is really helpful.

Will keep you updated with the COPR when it arrives. Will PM my details for the spreadsheet.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Update - My COPR has arrived! Expiry date of August 2017. Panic postponed for a few months...thanks again.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:56 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark_McCulloch
Update - My COPR has arrived! Expiry date of August 2017. Panic postponed for a few months...thanks again.
Awesome! You are all set then! They obviously extended your medicals, so you have plenty of time to sort out your landing.

Best of luck and congrats again!