Spousal Sponsorship - Concerned.

Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Miggs88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship - Concerned.

Hi everyone, I'm somewhat new to these forums so apologies if I do ask anything that has already been answered elsewhere.

Ok so without further ado, my situation at the moment as the PA (a Spanish citizen/long time UK resident):

- Outland application sent off mid-January (~17th), but unfortunately we *DID NOT* pay and send Biometrics fee receipt with application.
- Request for document(s) on 7th March. Wording of request is somewhat confusing so I will copy paste here, but we understood it to be a request specifically for the French police certificate (I spent my Erasmus study programme/year abroad in France):

'> Police Certificate: From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate. Please provide a police certificate from France. This must be received at this office by: 2019/05/07.'

My wife and I sent off both my UK and French police certificates with the application in January, so we were a bit surprised to see this request. Does the wording of that request suggest to send off copies of both UK and French Police certificates or just the French one? We understood it to be a request just for the French Police Certificate as they explicitly ask for that, so we mailed another copy of it to CPC Sydney.

To continue...

- Sponsor Approval at the same time as Police Certificate request (7th March). Successfully linked paper application to GC Key account at same time.
- Request for Medical Exam 8th March. Passed on 17th March.
- Request for proof of Biometrics fee payment on 26th March. Uploaded fee receipt and acknowledgement of upload on 1st April.

Since end of March/beginning of April, nothing. Radio silence. We knew it was going to be a few extra weeks of waiting for the Biometrics but it's been 4 months now of nothing since the medical exam pass and the proof of Biometrics payment upload. I know everyone's timelines differ, in some cases drastically so, but we're 6 months into the process now with no Biometrics done, no news of transfer to Visa Office (as far as we know our application is still at CPC Sydney?), and so we are concerned.

Would it be a good idea to ask for our case notes now? Is anyone else experiencing (or has experienced) a similar timeline? Where they actually asking for both UK and French police certificates, not just the French one? Have they just forgotten about our application gathering dust at the bottom of the pile?Sorry for all the questions! We're just unsure as to what's happening and concerned at the lack of news now for several months at this stage of the process. Any and all info is appreciated.

Last edited by Miggs88; Jul 27th 2019 at 12:06 am.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 4:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - Concerned.

Originally Posted by Miggs88
Hi everyone, I'm somewhat new to these forums so apologies if I do ask anything that has already been answered elsewhere.

Ok so without further ado, my situation at the moment as the PA (a Spanish citizen/long time UK resident):

- Outland application sent off mid-January (~17th), but unfortunately we *DID NOT* pay and send Biometrics fee receipt with application.
- Request for document(s) on 7th March. Wording of request is somewhat confusing so I will copy paste here, but we understood it to be a request specifically for the French police certificate (I spent my Erasmus study programme/year abroad in France):

'> Police Certificate: From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate. Please provide a police certificate from France. This must be received at this office by: 2019/05/07.'

My wife and I sent off both my UK and French police certificates with the application in January, so we were a bit surprised to see this request. Does the wording of that request suggest to send off copies of both UK and French Police certificates or just the French one? We understood it to be a request just for the French Police Certificate as they explicitly ask for that, so we mailed another copy of it to CPC Sydney.

To continue...

- Sponsor Approval at the same time as Police Certificate request (7th March). Successfully linked paper application to GC Key account at same time.
- Request for Medical Exam 8th March. Passed on 17th March.
- Request for proof of Biometrics fee payment on 26th March. Uploaded fee receipt and acknowledgement of upload on 1st April.

Since end of March/beginning of April, nothing. Radio silence. We knew it was going to be a few extra weeks of waiting for the Biometrics but it's been 4 months now of nothing since the medical exam pass and the proof of Biometrics payment upload. I know everyone's timelines differ, in some cases drastically so, but we're 6 months into the process now with no Biometrics done, no news of transfer to Visa Office (as far as we know our application is still at CPC Sydney?), and so we are concerned.

Would it be a good idea to ask for our case notes now? Is anyone else experiencing (or has experienced) a similar timeline? Where they actually asking for both UK and French police certificates, not just the French one? Have they just forgotten about our application gathering dust at the bottom of the pile?Sorry for all the questions! We're just unsure as to what's happening and concerned at the lack of news now for several months at this stage of the process. Any and all info is appreciated.
Hello and welcome to BE!

I think you are fretting without reason You are only 7 months into something that usually takes 12... or longer!

Don't forget 12 months is the average - so some will be quicker and some longer.

When you received your Sponsor Approval letter, it usually tells you where your application is being sent to for 2nd stage processing. When you got the request for Police Certificates where did it tell you to send them?

The requirement for Police Certificates would mean that you would need one from Spain (if you lived there after the age of 18 for more than 6 months accummulative), France and the UK - although it would appear that they were asking for one from France only. How old were the Police Certificates when you originally applied in January - did you apply for a new updated police certificate or just send a copy?

What does your MyCIC status say - or eCAS? At a guess they have started background checks; these can take weeks or months... it's just one of those things.

In the meantime could I suggest that you look into obtaining UK Citizenship in case you ever want to return! Also have a good read of our wiki, both in regards to 'what happens next' with spousal sponsorship but also on how to start planning the move over!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...application.3F
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada

We also have a lengthy thread for Spousal Sponsorship which you might find of use too.. Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Do check MyCIC and e-CAS, hopefully there will be an update on there https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/authenticate.do

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2019 at 4:30 am.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Miggs88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship - Concerned.

Hi Siouxie, many thanks for the warm welcome and quick reply!

I think my wife would agree with you and this is probably just a case of impatience and anxiety getting the better of me, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Ok so we checked and my wife only received the Sponsor Approval letter - nothing regarding where the application is going to be sent for 2nd stage processing. Not sure if this is unusual or not.

We sent the French Police Certificate (FPC) to the courier address for IRCC in Sydney, NS (49 Dorchester Street, B1P 5Z2), as we decided to send it via courier so we could get a 'signed for' acknowledgement that it was received (which it was). Two addresses were given in the request, one for regular mail (CPC Sydney) and the aforementioned one for courier.

The Police Certificates we sent with the application in January were from October/November last year, as I requested them just before we started filling out the application. We simply sent another copy of the French Police Certificate (which is simply a PDF attachment one can print off) that we originally sent with our application, as we thought it was still reasonably up-to-date being less than 6 months old, and also considering the fact that I haven't spent any considerable amount of time in France (not even holidays) since my year abroad nearly 10 years ago (which of course is reflected in the residential addresses listed since the age of 18 in the application). In a nutshell, we didn't think requesting a brand new one at that point was necessary. Also to clarify, I haven't spent 6 months or more accumulative in any given year in Spain since the age of 18 so a Spanish Police Certificate wasn't necessary.

Should I obtain a new French Police Certificate and send it to them? The date they set in the request to receive the FPC already passed, but we sent the copy well within this deadline though. Is this where there might be an issue? That what they actually wanted was a brand new FPC rather than another copy of the one we sent with the application?

ECAS reads as follows:
  • We received your application for permanent residence on January 17, 2019.
  • We sent you correspondence on March 7, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  • We sent you medical instructions on March 9, 2019. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  • Medical results have been received.

MyGC indicates that my eligibility review and background checks are currently being processed, and that I passed my medical exam. Under 'review of additional documents' it states that 'we need additional documents to process your application. We will send you a letter or email with details.' Needless to say, we've responded promptly to both the request for the French Police Certificate and the proof of Biometrics fee payment, and we've had acknowledgement of receipt for both. Both ECAS and MyGC have remained unchanged (other than a minor UI/graphics update) since I passed my medical exam mid-March. As previously mentioned, the last correspondence was the email acknowledging the upload of Biometrics fee receipt on 1st April.

I tried to go down the UK citizenship route, but unfortunately the goal posts were moved somewhat during my time here. Since 2015 you can no longer apply for citizenship directly if you are considered a permanent resident under EU law, making it necessary to apply for a UK PR card first. I tried to obtain said card, but unfortunately the government retroactively applied the need for private health insurance cover across a 5 year period (even though I had it at that time). In all of the UK's time within the EU, this has never been actively reinforced or applied to EU citizens in the UK by the British Government, but then Brexit and the hostile environment came along and I guess that all changed very quickly. To avoid a political can of worms and cut a long story short, to obtain UK citizenship at this point would mean possibly spending an extra 5 years apart from my wife (to satisfy UK PR card/Citizenship requirements), and that's just not an option for us, having already spent so much time apart. Fortunately, I've already spent many a trip in Canada staying with my wife, so I'm more than comfortable with the idea of calling this place home for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a novel of biblical proportions, so I'll just say that you have a great website here and you're doing the lord's work. So much useful information that makes the process a lot less daunting. I'll have a look at that thread you linked, thank you!

Last edited by Miggs88; Jul 27th 2019 at 7:01 am.