Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal sponsorship and Canadian child

Spousal sponsorship and Canadian child

Old Jan 2nd 2017, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Mattc24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal sponsorship and Canadian child

Hi,

I'm looking a for an answer to a question I have re the above title from perhaps someone who is knowledgeable on the process or who has had some similar experience.

My wife is Canadian and we are applying for her to sponsor me to move to Canada. We have two children (born here in the UK) who are both Canadian citizens through my wife but we only have citizenship paperwork in place for one child, my daughter. My question is can we apply for my son's paperwork (certificate and passport) at the same time as applying for sponsorship and permanent residence for myself or must it be done separately/beforehand? Or do we even have to have the paperwork in place as my son is automatically a citizen despite not having a certificate?
The only reason I ask is wanting to get things going as quickly as we can. Due to a recent trip to Canada my wife found it rather difficult to return to the UK and wants to go home as soon as possible!

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Matt.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship and Canadian child

Originally Posted by Mattc24
Hi,

I'm looking a for an answer to a question I have re the above title from perhaps someone who is knowledgeable on the process or who has had some similar experience.

My wife is Canadian and we are applying for her to sponsor me to move to Canada. We have two children (born here in the UK) who are both Canadian citizens through my wife but we only have citizenship paperwork in place for one child, my daughter. My question is can we apply for my son's paperwork (certificate and passport) at the same time as applying for sponsorship and permanent residence for myself or must it be done separately/beforehand? Or do we even have to have the paperwork in place as my son is automatically a citizen despite not having a certificate?
The only reason I ask is wanting to get things going as quickly as we can. Due to a recent trip to Canada my wife found it rather difficult to return to the UK and wants to go home as soon as possible!

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Matt.
Others will be along, but my tuppence worth.

You should apply for citizenship for your second child first and get that back, THEN apply for spousal sponsorship.

It may be 'automatic' but they are not a citizen until the paperwork says they are.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal sponsorship and Canadian child

From the instruction guide:

Important information about children born to Canadian citizens

If you are a Canadian citizen who is sponsoring a spouse or partner, and you have a child together, your child may be a Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored. The official way to confirm whether your child is a Canadian citizen is to apply for a proof of citizenship. If it is confirmed that your child is a Canadian citizen, you can apply for your child’s Canadian passport. If this applies to you, you are encouraged to provide a copy of your child’s proof of Canadian citizenship with your application, to help us confirm that your child does not require immigrant processing. However, your application will not be returned to you if you do not submit this.

Guide 5525 – Basic guide: Sponsor your spouse, partner or child

Answer: get on and apply for the Proof of Citizenship ASAP. Enclose proof that you have applied if the certificate has not arrived by the time the spousal app is submitted.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 2nd 2017 at 4:12 pm.