Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship....Break Up!!!

Spousal Sponsorship....Break Up!!!

Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

rodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the rough
Default Spousal Sponsorship....Break Up!!!

Hey, I moved to Canada 4 years ago and met my girlfriend who sponsored me to live here in late 2011, sadly, we have just broken up, but now I am in limbo as I don't know what this means for my residency? and my possible effort to become a citizen?

I have a full time job, and I'm studying for my degree and love living here now im settled. I'd really hate to have to give up all that good work and head home to compound my misery!

Ive done some research and it seems that my residency would not be affected by the unfortunate events? Would anybody be able to provide me more details and reassurance?

Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship....Break Up!!!

Hi

Originally Posted by rodderzzz
Hey, I moved to Canada 4 years ago and met my girlfriend who sponsored me to live here in late 2011, sadly, we have just broken up, but now I am in limbo as I don't know what this means for my residency? and my possible effort to become a citizen?

I have a full time job, and I'm studying for my degree and love living here now im settled. I'd really hate to have to give up all that good work and head home to compound my misery!

Ive done some research and it seems that my residency would not be affected by the unfortunate events? Would anybody be able to provide me more details and reassurance?

Thanks
1. It depends. If you have received your PR status you maybe all right depending on how long ago you "landed".
2. Only one hitch is that if that your spouse who sponsored and you "landed" a short time ago, may decide to report you to CIC stating that the only reason you married/lived c/law was to obtain PR status. If that happens, be prepared to be interviewed to determine if it was a "MOC" (Marriage of Convenience) If CIC determines it was a "MOC" you will probably be reported for misrepresentation.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

rodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. It depends. If you have received your PR status you maybe all right depending on how long ago you "landed".
2. Only one hitch is that if that your spouse who sponsored and you "landed" a short time ago, may decide to report you to CIC stating that the only reason you married/lived c/law was to obtain PR status. If that happens, be prepared to be interviewed to determine if it was a "MOC"
I 'landed' Feb 2012 but have been here since Jan 09 (originally on a working holiday and then a study permit)

The break up was mutual and I know she wouldn't do that, she has said she will say we are still together etc to help me stay but I don't wanna lie about it to them either!!!

Is it possible to just say nothing and apply for citizenship when I am allowed?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you landed in February 2012 then the conditional spousal PR would not affect you as it became effective as of October 2012.

You do not need to lie, your PR status is safe and you can apply for Citizenship once you meet the residential requirements.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:07 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You're fine. Sorry about the break up but you can move on with your life in Canada with no hassle.

You say spousal in the subject but then mention a "girlfriend"...was it spousal or common law? Doesn't really matter as your partner is still bound by the sponsorship agreement signed when she applied with you.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
If you landed in February 2012 then the conditional spousal PR would not affect you as it became effective as of October 2012.

You do not need to lie, your PR status is safe and you can apply for Citizenship once you meet the residential requirements.

It was a common law spousal sponsorship.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Hey guys, just have further follow up on this. I have just come to file my taxes and wasn't sure what to put, because my GF sponsored me and I got my PR last Feb, we broke up in Jan, do I put common-law on my tax return because we were common law in 2012? Or do I put single? Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:23 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd imagine if you're single put single.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:53 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, just have further follow up on this. I have just come to file my taxes and wasn't sure what to put, because my GF sponsored me and I got my PR last Feb, we broke up in Jan, do I put common-law on my tax return because we were common law in 2012? Or do I put single? Thanks
Read the instructions: you use your "marital status" as at 31 December.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/50...tml#P431_43882