Spousal Sponsorship advice

Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:08 am
Just Joined

eternal-optimist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Sponsorship advice

Hello everyone

This forum has been so insightful and helpful and has answered most of my questions. I have a few unanswered questions though, which I hope someone may help me with

I am a PR of Canada and have been with my fiance for the past 2 and a half years. He is British and currently living in England. We are planning on getting married in the next few months, after which we will be applying for sponsorship and permanent residence,etc.

My questions/concerns:

1) How long should we wait after getting married(wedding), to apply for sponsorship/permanent residence for him? Ideally, we would like to do it ASAP but, maybe it would be wise to wait a couple of months after being married to apply, if that would make any difference in application?

2) What kind of proof of relationship, other than the marriage certificate, could we provide to CIC? I know photos and flight tickets, ticket stubs from when we visited each other, emails between us, letters form close friends and family stating our relationship is genuine, etc are a few things we could provide, but what else could we send ??

I am just concerned because we would be applying shortly after we would have gotten married, so don't know if there would be any issues with that at all? I have a steady job and our relationship is as genuine as can be, so I am hoping there won't be any problems with the application...

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship advice

You can apply the day you get married, but you may have other things in mind for that. So long as you can demonstrate it is not a marriage of convenience, one day or two months is not going to make a whole lot of difference.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You can apply the day you get married, but you may have other things in mind for that. So long as you can demonstrate it is not a marriage of convenience, one day or two months is not going to make a whole lot of difference.
Thanks for your speedy reply!

So it shouldn't make a difference when we apply, as long as we have enough supporting documents and proof of relationship. That makes me feel a little more at ease, as we really do want to apply asap!

Thanks again
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd go for it. Good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Hi,

The main thing is to prove your marriage is genuine and not a marriage of conveience, thats it...........

send lots of pics from the relationship, wedding, honeymoon, emails, letters, airline tickets, phone bills, letters from parents to say genuine relationship and how long each other known each other, also if you are planning on getting some help when you move like parents, family friends letting you stay with them get them to write a letter to say they will offer you a place to stay, only 2 letters are required, thats it really no need to go overboard just enough to prove its a genuine marriage.........good luck and all the best.

MR79
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that bit of info and advice!! I've started thinking about everything that I could include to prove our relationship and marriage. I'm not worried, because it is a real relationship, just a bit nervous I guess and want to do everything possible to make it happen!!

Will be asking more questions soon, so your insight and advice is more than welcome once again!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

keep them coming no worries....we are here to help....

MR79
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband was sponsoring me (and my children) he compiled a letter showing the timeline of the relationship along with a small file of supporting evidence - copies of emails, a receipt for a holiday and photos thereof, Christmas and birthday cards from his family to us as a couple, bills in both our names at our shared address and so on. As the previous poster said, you just need enough to prove it's a valid relationship and after more than 2 years together you don't even need to wait until the actual marriage to prove you are a couple and could apply in advance.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Originally Posted by newshoney
When my husband was sponsoring me (and my children) he compiled a letter showing the timeline of the relationship along with a small file of supporting evidence - copies of emails, a receipt for a holiday and photos thereof, Christmas and birthday cards from his family to us as a couple, bills in both our names at our shared address and so on. As the previous poster said, you just need enough to prove it's a valid relationship and after more than 2 years together you don't even need to wait until the actual marriage to prove you are a couple and could apply in advance.
Depends if it's more than 2 yrs in a relationship or if it's more than 2 years living together. If they wanted to apply before the marriage they would have to be able to show they had been living together in a common-law relationship for at least 1 year prior to the date the applied.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Common law relationships are alot more harder to prove than a straight forward spousal sponsorship, well thats my understanding so i may be wrong. best bet is to wait until married then apply.

MR79
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MR79
Common law relationships are alot more harder to prove than a straight forward spousal sponsorship, well thats my understanding so i may be wrong. best bet is to wait until married then apply.

MR79
Thanks everyone for your input, advice and helpful tips. I will be sure to apply the advice to our application when the time comes.