British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Spousal Sponsorship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/spousal-sponsorship-805261/)

JohnDerry Aug 6th 2013 11:30 am

Spousal Sponsorship

Hello all,

Right, I am sponsoring my wife for PR, I am Canadian by birth.

By extension, our son is also a Canadian citizen and we are waiting on his proof of citizenship certificate.

I have completed all the relevant paperwork but I do have a niggling doubt about one form, 'Sponsorship Evaluation' IMM 5481.

Question 4. Automatically includes me.

Question 5. A) Current Undertaking

I have entered the figure '2' to denote my spouse and son.

Question 7. Asks for a total of people covered in current and previous undertakings (of which there have been none.

So I have entered the number '3' to denote the three of us.

Later in the form...

6. B) Every other family member financially dependent upon you, whether they live with you or not, and not listed in 5 (B) above.

I have included the names of my spouse and son.

NOW, does this seem right.

I have read and re-read all the notes and just have a niggling doubt about this one form, which, going by length and depth should probably be one of the easiest forms.

Any advice experts?

AnneMarieC Aug 6th 2013 8:02 pm

Re: Spousal Sponsorship

Good question - I had/have similar niggles.

I am Cdn by naturalisation, sponsoring my husband. My daughter is Cdn by birth (albeit born overseas - also waiting on certificate) so I didn't include her in question 5 as technically I'm not sponsoring her - so I only put 1 in question 5 for current undertakings, then 2 in question 7 but then listed her in the dependants section.

Hoping that's the right way.

Watching this space ....

Freewheeler Aug 6th 2013 8:25 pm

I can say that I'm yet another confused by the figures and detailed required.

I'm a naturalized Canadian citizen living in the UK. My kids are Canadian by default and have their citizenship cards and passports. I am only sponsoring my wife who is a British Citizen. Forms such as the one mentioned in this thread have been driving me crazy. You have to be very careful for whom you are filing the forms for and be aware of that when completing the detail. It is so easy to mix up "sponsor", "spouse", "applicant" and "principal applicant".

I've the added question/niggle, to which I've just raised a thread. I'm now concerned as to whether I'm indeed eligible to sponsor my wife as I'm currently a permanent resident in the UK.:unsure:

Also watching this space.

Good luck all.

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC (Post 10839013)
Good question - I had/have similar niggles.

I am Cdn by naturalisation, sponsoring my husband. My daughter is Cdn by birth (albeit born overseas - also waiting on certificate) so I didn't include her in question 5 as technically I'm not sponsoring her - so I only put 1 in question 5 for current undertakings, then 2 in question 7 but then listed her in the dependants section.

Hoping that's the right way.

Watching this space ....

Tramps_mate Aug 6th 2013 8:54 pm

The forms are very bloody confusing that's for sure!

BristolUK Aug 7th 2013 2:14 am

It's funny...the more one deals with Canadian Government departments, the better one appreciates UK government departments.

Siouxie Aug 7th 2013 4:04 am

1 Attachment(s)
Question 4

You are included in the count by default.

Question 5. Details of current and previous undertakings. Write the number of persons included in undertakings in effect and not yet in effect.

5A Answer - 1, your spouse.

Question 6 - persons not included in 5

6B - If your son is a Canadian Citizen the answer to this would be 1 (your son). Everyone else is included in sections 5 - it specifically says "NOT included in 5".

Question 7 - Add the number of persons listed in sections 4, 5 and 6. Write the total in the box provided.

Answer, 3 (you, your spouse and son)

:)

Edited to include snapshot of questions and realised I had duplicated my answers and confused things, sorry!

AnneMarieC Aug 7th 2013 5:09 am

Thanks Siouxie!

JohnDerry Aug 7th 2013 7:20 pm

Fantastic Siouxie, thank you very much for your help.

The final piece of the jigsaw is now complete...I hope!

jangles457 Aug 9th 2013 1:56 am

I'm new so hope Im in the right place really sorry if not.
I'm in exactly the same situation as JohnDerry I’m Canadian & so are my children & have read the really useful guidance from member Siouxie & it actually now makes sense to me.

However this now leads to further associated questions & was wondering if anyone could please advise.

Because question 5A of Evaluation form IMM 5481 states put ‘Persons included in box 3 of the Generic Application form IMM 0008 (IMM 0008 is a form which the sponsored spouse- principal applicant) completes.

Questions are: Re IMM 0008 Generic Application
If our children are Canadian – should they be included in question 3 (because it appears this figure needs to tie in with the Sponsor form I believe)?

Also should we mention our Canadian children in the Dependants part on page 3?.

Which leads to this question : Pay the fees & processing fees.
It shows a fee for Sponsor at $75 & Principal applicant (the sponsored spouse) at $475 (+ perm residence fee).
But do we have to pay a fee (e.g. family Member -single under 22) for our Canadian Children?

Last question: is PHOTOS re IMM3901 Immigration Canada Family Class information guide.
Point 13: PHOTOS; states- Supply 8 photos of each family member & yourself.
Does this mean the Canadian Sponsor & the sponsored Spouse & Canadian children all have to provide photos?
If I get this done I'll have finished .. fingers crossed & thanks for reading

Siouxie Aug 9th 2013 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jangles457 (Post 10842625)
I'm new so hope Im in the right place really sorry if not.
I'm in exactly the same situation as JohnDerry I’m Canadian & so are my children & have read the really useful guidance from member Siouxie & it actually now makes sense to me.

However this now leads to further associated questions & was wondering if anyone could please advise.

Because question 5A of Evaluation form IMM 5481 states put ‘Persons included in box 3 of the Generic Application form IMM 0008 (IMM 0008 is a form which the sponsored spouse- principal applicant) completes.

Questions are: Re IMM 0008 Generic Application
If our children are Canadian – should they be included in question 3 (because it appears this figure needs to tie in with the Sponsor form I believe)?

Also should we mention our Canadian children in the Dependants part on page 3?.

Which leads to this question : Pay the fees & processing fees.
It shows a fee for Sponsor at $75 & Principal applicant (the sponsored spouse) at $475 (+ perm residence fee).
But do we have to pay a fee (e.g. family Member -single under 22) for our Canadian Children?

Last question: is PHOTOS re IMM3901 Immigration Canada Family Class information guide.
Point 13: PHOTOS; states- Supply 8 photos of each family member & yourself.
Does this mean the Canadian Sponsor & the sponsored Spouse & Canadian children all have to provide photos?
If I get this done I'll have finished .. fingers crossed & thanks for reading

Box 3 of the generic application IMM 0008 -

Indicate the total number of family members included in your application. This includes yourself and any family members, regardless of whether they intend to accompany you to Canada or not.

As your children are Canadian then they are not being sponsored and therefore would not be included in this box.

Dependants:

You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). If you don’t, you will not be able to sponsor family members at a later date if they are not listed on your application.

Your children are already Canadian and therefore do not require sponsoring. They are not included as dependants for this section.

You do not have to pay a processing fee for your children as they are already Canadian Citizens; the processing fees are only to be paid for the person who is being sponsored.

Your children should be included in the form IMM 5406.

You only need photos of the person being sponsored.

jangles457 Aug 9th 2013 3:28 am

:thumbsup:
Hi Siouxie,
I can't thank you enough. Must admit was pulling my hair out as it got very confusing. So after your fantastic advice have just spent the last half hour correcting my mistakes ...
Can't tell how good I feel & a BIG THANK YOU again. :D
Canada here we come !!

jangles457 Aug 9th 2013 3:36 am

:ohmy:
OHHH , I forgot to ask ..
With Family Sponsorship of Spouse & after completing the Immigration forms IMM 0008, 5669, 5406, 5490, 5476.. (plus done sponsor side forms).

Does anyone know if Sponsored Spouse needs to fill in seperate Permanent residence forms?
Or are they included in the forms I've mentioned above that we have completed?
If we need to fill in extra Perm forms - please could anyone provide us with the Form IMM number.

Many thanks ...

Siouxie Aug 9th 2013 5:17 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jangles457 (Post 10842808)
Hi Siouxie,
I can't thank you enough. Must admit was pulling my hair out as it got very confusing. So after your fantastic advice have just spent the last half hour correcting my mistakes ...
Can't tell how good I feel & a BIG THANK YOU again. :D
Canada here we come !!

You are very welcome, glad to be able to help.

Originally Posted by jangles457 (Post 10842818)
:ohmy:
OHHH , I forgot to ask ..
With Family Sponsorship of Spouse & after completing the Immigration forms IMM 0008, 5669, 5406, 5490, 5476.. (plus done sponsor side forms).

Does anyone know if Sponsored Spouse needs to fill in seperate Permanent residence forms?
Or are they included in the forms I've mentioned above that we have completed?
If we need to fill in extra Perm forms - please could anyone provide us with the Form IMM number.

Many thanks ...

I'm attaching snapshots of the forms you need to fill out - don't forget the Western Europe forms if your wife is from the UK. If she is from elsewhere, then scroll down on the webpage below to find which one you need.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

jangles457 Aug 9th 2013 8:59 am

Hi again & thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the snapshots.
Yes we had already seen these & filled in the appropriate forms.
Think what I meant was I was a bit confused because somewhere it mentioned we also had to apply for Permanent residence (& submit at the same time) - although nowhere in Step 1, 2 & 3 that you & I have mentioned does it link or title a form for Permanent residence applications.
All I know is that it later says it will then be passed to Permenant residence for approval.

Think just need clarification if there were any permanent residence forms we should also submit (because I can't find them).

Also am I crazy or did I read that in Family class sponsorship (as long as not conditional) that the sponsored spouse becomes a Permenant resident as soon as Sponsorship & immigration applications are approved & not have to wait the norm 3 years) perhaps I've dreamed this!!!!

Again any advice would be much appreciated.. Many thanks :D

Siouxie Aug 9th 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jangles457 (Post 10843276)
Hi again & thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the snapshots.
Yes we had already seen these & filled in the appropriate forms.
Think what I meant was I was a bit confused because somewhere it mentioned we also had to apply for Permanent residence (& submit at the same time) - although nowhere in Step 1, 2 & 3 that you & I have mentioned does it link or title a form for Permanent residence applications.
All I know is that it later says it will then be passed to Permenant residence for approval.

Think just need clarification if there were any permanent residence forms we should also submit (because I can't find them).

Also am I crazy or did I read that in Family class sponsorship (as long as not conditional) that the sponsored spouse becomes a Permenant resident as soon as Sponsorship & immigration applications are approved & not have to wait the norm 3 years) perhaps I've dreamed this!!!!

Again any advice would be much appreciated.. Many thanks :D

Lol, no problem.

If you look at the 1st snapshot, the 2nd set of forms says "Immigration" - these are the forms that are used for the PR application, together with the form in set 3 (snapshot 2). The 1st set are the sponsorship forms.

So, you send off set 1, 2 and 3 to Mississauga together with the police check, medical, photos and processing fee receipt. Your sponsors application is looked at and provided it is approved, the whole application is sent for processing in London (or where ever you have designated).

Provided you have had an established relationship for more than 2 years and/or you have children together at the time of application then your spouse will not be required to be on a conditional PR visa. Once PR is granted (approved) she will receive what is called a COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) and then will 'land' in Canada to convert that to PR. Your spouse will be a Permanent Resident.

If you had been together less than that or did not have children, then the PR would be conditional on you remaining together for a period of 2 years after which time it would convert to Permanent PR.

You can read more here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...ponsorship.asp