Spousal Sponsorship

Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spousal Sponsorship

Hi everyone,

Hoping for a little more advice. I've read through the Spousal Sponsorship part of the Wiki but still have a couple of questions that Im hoping some of you ovely people can help me out with. I'm moving to Canada on 28th April as a PR, but am marrying my long term boyfriend on 12th May. We're just trying to sort out the forms for spousal sponsorship before we move so that they're all done and dusted and ready to send off as soon as we are legally married.
I understand that he can still come to Canada and reside with me as a visitor until he (hopefully) gets his PR, and from what I've read it's much easier to apply outland. What I'm struggling with though is probably really simple. If he will be residing with me in Canada during the application process and we are applying outland, what do we put down as his residing address on the forms? Surely we couldn't put my Canadian address as then we would have to apply inland? Do we need to put say, one of his family members addresses back in the UK?
Sorry if this is really simple, I just want to get it right!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
Hi everyone,

Hoping for a little more advice. I've read through the Spousal Sponsorship part of the Wiki but still have a couple of questions that Im hoping some of you ovely people can help me out with. I'm moving to Canada on 28th April as a PR, but am marrying my long term boyfriend on 12th May. We're just trying to sort out the forms for spousal sponsorship before we move so that they're all done and dusted and ready to send off as soon as we are legally married.
I understand that he can still come to Canada and reside with me as a visitor until he (hopefully) gets his PR, and from what I've read it's much easier to apply outland. What I'm struggling with though is probably really simple. If he will be residing with me in Canada during the application process and we are applying outland, what do we put down as his residing address on the forms? Surely we couldn't put my Canadian address as then we would have to apply inland? Do we need to put say, one of his family members addresses back in the UK?
Sorry if this is really simple, I just want to get it right!
You can just put your Canadian address, that's fine - most people are already living in Canada but apply outland, no problem.

Just checking though, have you already landed as a PR?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah brilliant, I thought that might be the case, but was then worrying that they'd start questioning everything about whether he was living with me illegally in Canada or something. It's all quite confusing.
I landed as a PR in June last year, returned to the UK fter a 2 week holiday to sort everything out here (jobs, money etc) and am moving permanently next month. Is this ok or will this present a problem do you think?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
I landed as a PR in June last year, returned to the UK fter a 2 week holiday to sort everything out here (jobs, money etc) and am moving permanently next month. Is this ok or will this present a problem do you think?
I was just checking that you'd already landed as if you did so after you'd married him, but without adding him to your application, then you wouldn't be able to sponsor him at a later date. So unless he was your common-law partner when you landed (iirc you haven't lived together?) then no probs.

And he won't be in Canada 'illegally', he'll be there as a visitor. Obviously when he arrives make sure that he doesn't look as if he's planning on staying forever, so he musn't turn up with all his worldly possessions etc!

Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

We were not living together when I landed, so hopefully all should be ok there! He hasn't really got much to bring with him anyway, he's just going to bring clothes and stuff. If asked by the immigration at the airport when he gets there, I assume it's always best to be honest and say he's coming to visit me? Probably a daft thing to worry about, because I worry they won't let him in the country for fear of him staying without a visa!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We have just been through this process! Hubby got his PR confirmed a few weeks ago and just needs to get the visa put in his passport.

Congratulations on your up and coming marriage :0)

We put my hubby's mother's address down as his UK address, and then our address in Canada as the correspondence address. We don't have any property in the UK anymore so had to put his mother's address on the application.

We also did the 'Outland' application route.

Sounds like you are well on track! Will keep my fingers crossed for you :0)
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

BAAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, am I getting this right? If I am from the UK and in Canada on a 6 month visitors and wish to marry my fiance who is a Canadian citizen, I can apply outland by giving a UK address as my home address, a Canadian correspondence address and my spousal/pr application can be dealt with that way? Would I need to attend any interview in the UK, or, is everything done by post?

Thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:10 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BAAS
Ok, am I getting this right? If I am from the UK and in Canada on a 6 month visitors and wish to marry my fiance who is a Canadian citizen, I can apply outland by giving a UK address as my home address, a Canadian correspondence address and my spousal/pr application can be dealt with that way? Would I need to attend any interview in the UK, or, is everything done by post?

Thanks.

Hi there BAAS,

In a word......YES!
That is pretty much what me and my OH have just done, except my OH is a UK citizen but PR here in Canada.

As for the interview thing....well that is the chance you, or indeed any of us take when applying outland whilst still in Canada. Although from all the info I have gleaned from this forum it seems interviews are not all that common.

Other than that, yes pretty much everything is done by post, and you know that if you are applying outland ALL your application forms must be sent to Mississauga first for sponsor approval. From there they will send them on to London to complete the application process.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Leggy, how long did it take your PR to turn around?

Thanks again
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:15 am
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BAAS
Leggy, how long did it take your PR to turn around?

Thanks again

Well we only sent it(our application) off last week and it arrived on Wednesday. I'm hoping for a reasonably quick turnaround but I think the average processing time for straightforward outland spousal applications is around 4-5 months at the moment.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

When they send your application to London, what exactly is it for?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

We were living in London and I sponsored my wife. Shortly after we moved to Canada, she entering on a temporary residence permit. I wrote up our experience with the "dual intent entry" and the link is below. The end effect is the same if you are already in Canada and do an "out of Canada" application.

Note also the link about health coverage. OHIP in Ontario covers the sponsored PR applicant from three months after the date of the sponsorship confirmation letter. Other provinces may or may not.