spousal sponsorship

Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

JayKay1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spousal sponsorship

I am a British citizen and have come to Canada to live with my Canadian boyfriend for 6 months as a visitor. I am planning on flying back to the UK the day before my 6 months here, then returning 3 weeks later.
We are planning on applying for spousal sponsorship after the 1 year of living together. Will the 3 weeks in the UK affect the application or does it have to be 1 year of continuous co-habitation. ??
Is spousal sponsorship often denied ??
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spousal sponsorship

short breaks apart are allowed for spousal sponsorship - for business, travel etc. You dont have to sleep under the same roof continuously for a year but you need proof that you have set up home together, live in a marriage like relationship together

spousal sponsorship is rarely denied unless an application is found to be fraudulent.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

Last edited by chanceUK; Jan 19th 2011 at 8:31 am.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You could just apply to extend your visitor visa, rather than having to fly back to the UK. You need to do it a certain number of days before your current one expires (off the top of my head, think it's 30 days but do check that).

Saw on your other thread that you have a caution, so you might want to look in to that asap - if it does make you criminally inadmissible, you shouldn't be in Canada even as a visitor! No idea if the caution you were given does make you inadmissible though but have a read of this for more info............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:47 am
Just Joined

JayKay1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok i apprieciate the help, thanks.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

the rules for extending your visitor visa are slightly contradtictory on the CIC website. There is a section about 'extending your stay' and in the intro it states you need to submit your online application 30 days prior to your visitor status expiring, however, when I took the eligibility test, it said I qualified to apply on line, and that I only needed to submit my application before my visitor status expires - it says nothing about needing to submit it 30+ days prior. So in theory I could do it the day before. Having said that, it's no skin of my nose to do it 30 days in advance, but it doesn't stipulate it is necessary. I'm going to err on the side of caution though.