Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal PR - Application received?

Spousal PR - Application received?

Old Sep 28th 2013, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

getmeintohalifax is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal PR - Application received?

This may be a really dumb question, but when (and how) should we be notified that our application has been received? We applied in May and haven't heard a single thing to say that our application was received. The only thing we know is that our package was delivered and signed for.

I was mildly concerned but just sort of assumed that it must be normal but last night we were talking to friends who have also applied through the same stream and got an email with a case number. We're really starting to worry now. Should we have heard something by now?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 1:09 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal PR - Application received?

Have you had sponsor approval?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

No. We submitted the application and have heard nothing since, whereas our friends received an email stating that the application was received and giving them a reference number.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:53 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Did you apply inland or outland?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

We applied inland. The only difference between our case and theirs is that they were married and we were common law at the time of application.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:13 am
Concierge

Sponsor approval time for inland is 6 months so you won't have heard yet, and they don't always acknowledge receipt.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Sponsor approval time for inland is 6 months so you won't have heard yet, and they don't always acknowledge receipt.
It seems to be taking a lot longer at the moment - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

OP, your friends probably applied via the more common outland application, and sponsorship approval via that route is only taking 27 days at the moment, so that'll be why they've heard already. Don't panic!

Good luck with it.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:11 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It seems to be taking a lot longer at the moment - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

OP, your friends probably applied via the more common outland application, and sponsorship approval via that route is only taking 27 days at the moment, so that'll be why they've heard already. Don't panic!

Good luck with it.
YEESH, I hadn't realised it had gone up from 6 months! I'll admit I didn't check it before I posted, I was going on memory... Maybe I'm being dense, though, so is that actually saying that inland applications are now up to 19 months (for 80%)? The wording on the headings is confusing me... for outland it just says "Step 1 - Assessment of Sponsor" and "Step 2 - Assessment of Person Being Sponsored (applicant)"... whereas for Inland it says "Step 1 - Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored" and "Step 2 - Medical, security, background checks and other verifications for person being sponsored"... so how long is sponsor approval for inland?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

YEESH, I hadn't realised it had gone up from 6 months! I'll admit I didn't check it before I posted, I was going on memory... Maybe I'm being dense, though, so is that actually saying that inland applications are now up to 19 months (for 80%)? The wording on the headings is confusing me... for outland it just says "Step 1 - Assessment of Sponsor" and "Step 2 - Assessment of Person Being Sponsored (applicant)"... whereas for Inland it says "Step 1 - Assessment of sponsor and person being sponsored" and "Step 2 - Medical, security, background checks and other verifications for person being sponsored"... so how long is sponsor approval for inland?
Spouse, common-law partner in Canada
11 months
(initial assessment)

This is the sponsorship approval part - 11 months.

Working on applications received on October 29, 2012

Step 2 — Medical, security, background checks and other verifications for person being sponsored
8 months

19 months.

Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

YEESH, I hadn't realised it had gone up from 6 months!
Yep, afraid so. It's usually always been around 18 months though, so the reduced processing times this year have clearly just been a blip and now things are back to 'normal'!!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:27 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, afraid so. It's usually always been around 18 months though, so the reduced processing times this year have clearly just been a blip and now things are back to 'normal'!!
The time line will probably decrease over the winter, as Vegreville will probably shift staff from processing student/visitors extensions which peak over the summer.