Spousal PR application - medical

Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

getmeintohalifax is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal PR application - medical

This may seem like a really stupid question but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.

I am applying for PR under the spousal class (common law) and I'm just wondering whether I should (or even if I can) have the medical before I send the application off, or whether I have to wait until CIC request a medical? I was all set to have my medical tomorrow but my difficulty in finding the IMM 1017 form (and one of the guides I read mentioned something about CIC sending a completed IMM 1017A to instigate the medical) has planted a seed of doubt. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal PR application - medical

You need to do it before you apply.

HTH.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:55 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Need to do it in advance of sending in your application. The Doctor you visit should have the forms.

Thinking back to when I did mine the Doc had the forms and supplied me with a copy of it when complete which I included with my other documents for my full application. They send another copy to CIC directly on your behalf if I recall correctly.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies. If they send a copy to CIC directly do I need to specify which office? I'm still trying to decide whether to go Inland or Outland with my application.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:39 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getmeintohalifax
Thanks for the replies. If they send a copy to CIC directly do I need to specify which office? I'm still trying to decide whether to go Inland or Outland with my application.
One of the fields on the form asks for which office is processing your application, in which case you put London (assuming you are a Brit and applying outland).

Guessing you've seen the lists of pros and cons for inland vs outland? About 99% of people choose to go outland as it's way faster (main pro).
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
One of the fields on the form asks for which office is processing your application, in which case you put London (assuming you are a Brit and applying outland).

Guessing you've seen the lists of pros and cons for inland vs outland? About 99% of people choose to go outland as it's way faster (main pro).
Yeah, I've seen the pros & cons but I originally decided to go Inland as I didn't realise quite how much quicker it was to go through London. Now I'm beginning to change my mind. My only worry is that, as I am applying common law (I'll have no trouble proving this - been together over 10 years, lived together for the last 3.5 years continuously, getting married later this year, lots of photos/letters/people who can vouch for us) and I live in Canada, that they might request an interview if I apply through London.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:18 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've seen the pros & cons but I originally decided to go Inland as I didn't realise quite how much quicker it was to go through London. Now I'm beginning to change my mind. My only worry is that, as I am applying common law (I'll have no trouble proving this - been together over 10 years, lived together for the last 3.5 years continuously, getting married later this year, lots of photos/letters/people who can vouch for us) and I live in Canada, that they might request an interview if I apply through London.
With that amount of time and evidence I doubt they'd ask for an interview. It's possible but I think they use interviews more if you don't live together or have never lived together (as can happen in some spousal cases) or if you relationship has been relatively short.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:23 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Doubt they will given what you've just said. I applied common-law last year, applied in January, got married in April, been together (at that point) 3.5 years, living together for 2.5. Didn't have any issues, all really smooth. Applied outland.

It's very, very rare that anyone gets called for an interview, particularly if you have a straight-forward case - which includes common-law. The only real difference with common-law vs spousal is the living together requirement, so you just have to prove that you 1) have been living together for at least a year, and 2) it's in a marriage-like relationship, and not just as roommates. It sounds like yu won't have any issue proving that.

If anything, common-law is almost less suspect - you have to actually live together for 12 months to qualify, whereas to apply as spousal, you only have to be married, with no cohabitation requirement - I think it would be way easier to fake a spousal application than a common-law application because of all the extra evidence you have to provide like bills, leases, etc. As part of our proof we also included some of our wedding planning stuff - like the contracts we signed with the hotel and the registrar.

Processing time average for outland applications is around 5ish months - have a look at this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...eVZxYVE#gid=18 Look at the 2012 tab, and note how many people have applied as common-law; there are quite a few of them, and their timelines don't vary much/at all from married couples.

The only "question" we got asked while our application was in process was around the beginning of June (full timeline in my signature) when CIC called my husband and asked if we had gotten married as we had planned as per our application. Husband said yes, they didn't ask for any additional proof of it, just said cool and we should hear officially in about two weeks, which we did.

HTH, /babble
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked in immigration for 3 years, and been on this forum for 5 or so years, I've yet to hear of anybody going via spousal sponsorship being called for an interview.

But having said that, even if you do have to go for an interview, wouldn't the cost of a flight back to the UK be cheaper than not being able to work for another 6 months or so?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:46 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the medicals must be done by a designated practitioner.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:53 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Also..I was asked for a passport photo, as they attached it to the form. I also had to take my passport with me to prove my identity.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Everyone's help on this thread has been absolutely awesome so far! I just have a couple more questions. 1) I'm currently on a temporary work permit which expires in August of 2014. Am I still able to apply via Outland the London High Commission? 2) on the CIC website it seems like there are only two options: "If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada" or "If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada". I'm assuming that you need to pick the first one if you want to go through London? Is it not a massive lie if I live and work in Canada? Is this allowed?! And are the fees the same as applying in Canada?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

No problem - apply "outland" and stay and work in Canada since you have a WP. But, on the other hand you already are able to work here so why not apply inland. Not being able to work is one of the drawbacks to inland but does not apply in your case and you have plenty of time to complete your spousal PR meanwhile.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

I kind of just want to get it over and done with so I don't have to worry about extending work permits and stuff next summer (WP expires the start of July, not August). So am I right that I just apply as if I don't live in Canada? It just seems like I'm being fraudulent!

Last edited by getmeintohalifax; Mar 5th 2013 at 12:37 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:24 pm

You will be reporting your address in Canada on the application form so where is the misrepresentation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.