Spousal Open Work Permit

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Jonny2Vests is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Open Work Permit

Hi,

Regarding the wiki on work permits for spouses:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa..._Permit-Canada

Q1: If my spouse were to apply at the Point of Entry, does anyone know what form she needs to fill out in advance and what she would need to bring? I am applying for a temporary working visa, which requires an LMO etc., she obviously can't use that form as she doesn't have an LMO. Any ideas?

Q2: If instead she were to apply for a work permit once in country, what are people's experience of how long this process takes? She is a chartered accountant if that helps and I have a skilled LMO with a National Occupation at level 'A'.

Any info gratefully received,

Jon
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Open Work Permit

If applying at POE then I think they fill forms on entry ie in immigration

If applying inland you are looking at several weeks wait (55-78 days) approx depending on online or paper. If inland you will need a copy of your permit.

Think easier to get hers when you get yours
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

We found that it was best for my OH obtain his SOWP when I recieved mine on entering Canada. I had an LMO etc.

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

i thought that as long as she has a copy of your LMO then they can receive there OWP at POE
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As you are skill level A then she can apply at the POE for her OWP. No special forms need to be filled in just evidence that you are considered to be in the skill level A field of NOC occupations. Pay the $150 job done, but if working in a field where a medical is required then she would need to have the medical done prior to commencing employment. Looks like her profession does not require a medical.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just obtained my SOWP about ten days ago at POE. OH had to have copy of his LMO and job offer letter. They need 150 dollars each from both of you. I would recommend doing it this way as very straightforward.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gillan85
I have just obtained my SOWP about ten days ago at POE. OH had to have copy of his LMO and job offer letter. They need 150 dollars each from both of you. I would recommend doing it this way as very straightforward.
That's ver encouraging, thanks for taking the time.