Spousal Open Work Permit

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Lauraandfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Open Work Permit

Originally Posted by lauder99
Absolutely you have to do your due diligence as no-one is really looking out for you in the whole process. The big company gives some reassurance but not without its own issues. they are not always totally up to date on things so we have been double and triple checking everything we have been told, never taking anything at face value.

We are happy with where we are at but still a few hurdles to get over. We put in a PR application as a back up even though we always intended to go TWP.

I just wish I'd found this place sooner as we would have been over beofre now if I had been able to access the knowledge wrapped up here.

Good luck with your plans, where are you heading?

Tom
Will you put in for Fast track PR once you have your TWP? It looks that way, you could have your PR within 6 months.

We're going to Nelson, BC.

Luckily, (not sure how good it is to mix business and family) our job offer is from my sister. We are going down a LMO route and have done everything correctly. They happened to have bought a business that my husband has experience in as the route we wanted to take, that as a Paramedic is not very easy. Hope for Hub to go back to that once we have PR.

We'll be watching your journey and routing for you all the way!!!

Laura
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Many thanks, Ben

Hi Ben

if teh job offer is in NOC O A or B then the spouse can get an open work permit.

see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq08.asp

Cheers

Tom
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

schumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really nice
Smile Re: Spousal Open Work Permit

Hi Sara

Just about to do the same myself. The form you need for your open permit is the same one you have for OH. Fill in 2 copies one with OH job details and one for you with nothing in the work details. As to study permits, it seems that it varies across provinces and even school districts.. If you have a specific school or school region in mind then ask them if they insist on study permits. We are going to Alberta and have kids 5 and 3 so we are in the same dilemma. I think we will get one for the eldest as we are going over within weeks of the start of the new term and won't have the chance to sort it out before in time if they ask for it. The youngest wont need one for a while which means we can sort it out over there.

Hope that helps

Tom
Hi Tom
I have just got my spousal wp. we got our wp's a couple of weeks ago and fly out to Saskatoon on May 9th! AS far as study permits go, we have one for our 9 year old as we were told that she would not be able to go to any school unless she had a study permit. I think you can pay for them to go to school without a study permit but don't quote me on that.
For you info we sent the TWP application to London and got it back in 3 weeks.

Julie

Last edited by schumachergal; Mar 25th 2008 at 11:34 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

wife of brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sara K
Hi BE

My husband has been offered a job in NS, and we have just received the LMO? through so we can now start filling paper work out for his temporary work permit.

Anyway, from what I have read, I can apply for a spousal open work permit, however, I don't seem to be able to find a form. Is there a specific SOWP form? Or because my details will be on his form does it act like a double application?

Also my eldest would be eligible to start school this next school year (he's 5 on 24 November). Do I need to apply for a study permit for him?

Any help would be greatfully received! I have had a quick look through the WIKI articles and couldn't find anything! Could be I'm blind
Wives who come to Canada under the nominee program do not get an open work permit. You do not get one until you get your nomination letter from the govt (6-8mths) then you can apply for one and pay $150