Spousal Open Work Permit

Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Location: Lincoln, England but hope to swap for Halifax, NS in the next 6 months or so!
Sara K is on a distinguished road
Default Spousal Open Work Permit

Hi BE

My husband has been offered a job in NS, and we have just received the LMO? through so we can now start filling paper work out for his temporary work permit.

Anyway, from what I have read, I can apply for a spousal open work permit, however, I don't seem to be able to find a form. Is there a specific SOWP form? Or because my details will be on his form does it act like a double application?

Also my eldest would be eligible to start school this next school year (he's 5 on 24 November). Do I need to apply for a study permit for him?

Any help would be greatfully received! I have had a quick look through the WIKI articles and couldn't find anything! Could be I'm blind
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Spousal Open Work Permit

Hi Sara

Just about to do the same myself. The form you need for your open permit is the same one you have for OH. Fill in 2 copies one with OH job details and one for you with nothing in the work details. As to study permits, it seems that it varies across provinces and even school districts.. If you have a specific school or school region in mind then ask them if they insist on study permits. We are going to Alberta and have kids 5 and 3 so we are in the same dilemma. I think we will get one for the eldest as we are going over within weeks of the start of the new term and won't have the chance to sort it out before in time if they ask for it. The youngest wont need one for a while which means we can sort it out over there.

Hope that helps

Tom
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Hi Tom,

I am interested in the study permits for the kids, do we need to get them for Alberta, as previously mentioned we are going to Edmonton or surrounding areas.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Hi Fozzy

according to Judys great articles on the WIKI she states that they are not required and she has contacted the various bodies to confirm this but there have been anecdotal accounts of parents being required to have them.

As I say above we will probably be cutting it fine for the start of term for Abby so we are getting one just to be safe, we will have enough to do without the stress of getting a study permit at the last minute.

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

We are hoping to be later than you, possibly October, where do you start with study permit, would be very grateful for your advise.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Abby will be going into grade 1 so we really want her to start with her peer group. LMO application went in last Thursday so we are looking good for a July move.

The study permit form goes in with your TWP forms and can be found here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/student.asp

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sara K
Hi BE

My husband has been offered a job in NS, and we have just received the LMO? through so we can now start filling paper work out for his temporary work permit.

Anyway, from what I have read, I can apply for a spousal open work permit, however, I don't seem to be able to find a form. Is there a specific SOWP form? Or because my details will be on his form does it act like a double application?

Also my eldest would be eligible to start school this next school year (he's 5 on 24 November). Do I need to apply for a study permit for him?

Any help would be greatfully received! I have had a quick look through the WIKI articles and couldn't find anything! Could be I'm blind
I didn't think you could get a spousal open work permit on the back of a job offer, if you can that is excellent. Is there a place on the CIC website to refer back to for this? Thanks, Ben
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tom,

July, OOOH thats not too far away!!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ben

if teh job offer is in NOC O A or B then the spouse can get an open work permit.

see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq08.asp

Cheers

Tom
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fozzy33
Thanks Tom,

July, OOOH thats not too far away!!!
Yeah just told my boss today, that wasn't easy but its starting to feel real now I don't have to many people to talk to about it so now that its in the open I can get a bit more excited.

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Well done,

Cant wait to hand my notice in at work, we have kept it quiet too, just want to make sure I get my registaration through ok.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by benjy25
I didn't think you could get a spousal open work permit on the back of a job offer, if you can that is excellent. Is there a place on the CIC website to refer back to for this? Thanks, Ben
1. Only if the job offer is categorized level A, B, or O in the NOC can the spouse get an open work permit.
http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/.../welcome.shtml
2. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/fw/fw01e.pdf section 10.2
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fozzy33
Well done,

Cant wait to hand my notice in at work, we have kept it quiet too, just want to make sure I get my registaration through ok.
I won't hand in my notice till we get the work permits in my hand but now that the LMO is in I thought I should let my boss know what we are doing. They are a good company and have treated me well so I have given them as much warning as I can out of mutual respect. They were very good about it and wished us well.

Tom
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

I know, you feel obliged to do the decent thing, my company a rubbish to work for, really just want to give minimum notice, and work agency for the last two months, but feel I owe it to the unit to stay as long as possible.

Will see how it goes, it may fall over the summer holidays for the kids.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Lauraandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lauder99
I won't hand in my notice till we get the work permits in my hand but now that the LMO is in I thought I should let my boss know what we are doing. They are a good company and have treated me well so I have given them as much warning as I can out of mutual respect. They were very good about it and wished us well.

Tom
Tom, will you be getting a “Letter of Approval from London Office” or will you just take over your positive LMO?
Just wondering how many people go for the "Letter of Approval" or decide the LMO is enough for the IO to issure the TWP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.