Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship Application - Important Financial Questions!

Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship Application - Important Financial Questions!

Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

MarthaMindle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship Application - Important Financial Questions!

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, so apologies if I have immediately violated any forum protocol!

I am about to start applying to sponsor my Common Law partner, Sam.

I live in the UK and have lived here since I was 3, but have a Canadian passport. I have savings and am employable, and have no doubt I can financially support Sam in Canada, but cannot cite a current job in Canada as evidence. I am employed in the UK. How can I present this in the application?

Also, with regards to settling in Canada, until a decision is reached regarding sponsorship, we cannot give up our residence, leave jobs, or plan our future in Canada. What will they expect to see in the part of the application about future plans under these circumstances?

Many, many thanks.
Martha
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship Application - Important Financial Questions!

There are lots of other threads with this topic. So browse around and you will find many different ways to approach the topic.

Basically they just need to be convinced that you (the Canadian person) are seriously planning to move with your partner to Canada.

Do you have any links to Canada other than the passport? Family members still there who you might stay with for the first few weeks?

I suspect, but am not sure, that you might be able to get away with a simple declaratory letter which describes your plans together for Canada. And maybe a statement that you read the Globe and Mail online often, or whatever trivia suggests you know what Canada is and are in touch with the place.

Or copies of communications you have had with Canadian institutions regarding work/living/education/etc...

Note also that most PR applications get processed pretty quickly. You may have a PR visa in your partner's passport before you are ready!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:42 am
Just Joined

MarthaMindle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship Application - Important Financial Questions!

Thanks for that - just needed an idea of a direction to go in. I've emailed the CHC so i will see if they have anything to say as well.

I don't have any family member or friends to stay with, but I figure I can put together a good letter, especially as hopefully we'll be living it at some point!!