Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal applications from UK, is your Canadian half in the UK?

Wikiposts

Spousal applications from UK, is your Canadian half in the UK?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal applications from UK, is your Canadian half in the UK?

Hello,

A quick question for everyone who is/has submitted a spousal/common law application when their Canadian partner is with them waiting to return to Canada.

For your Canadian halves letter stating that they honestly plan to return to Canada to live permanently. Are you submitting a letter signed in front of a lawyer or is a letter signed by you enough (an original copy of course)?

I understand it should be a sworn declaration that my Canadian partner (and I) are going to return but I am not clear on if it actually has top be witnessed/notarised.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance,

Jamesoconstantlyaskingquestionasjustabouttosendina pplication
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spousal applications from UK, is your Canadian half in the UK?

Originally Posted by Jameso
Hello,

A quick question for everyone who is/has submitted a spousal/common law application when their Canadian partner is with them waiting to return to Canada.

For your Canadian halves letter stating that they honestly plan to return to Canada to live permanently. Are you submitting a letter signed in front of a lawyer or is a letter signed by you enough (an original copy of course)?

I understand it should be a sworn declaration that my Canadian partner (and I) are going to return but I am not clear on if it actually has top be witnessed/notarised.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance,

James,

I had my application returned for the exact same reason. All I was requested to do in the end by Mississauga was to sent a copy of a resignation letter of my common law partner stating that he was resigning his appointment as he intended to return to Canada.

There was no requirement to have it notarised or signed in front of a lawyer.

Hope this helps

Kay
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kki6
James,

I had my application returned for the exact same reason. All I was requested to do in the end by Mississauga was to sent a copy of a resignation letter of my common law partner stating that he was resigning his appointment as he intended to return to Canada.

There was no requirement to have it notarised or signed in front of a lawyer.

Hope this helps

Kay
Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand why your applciation was returned to you?
Can you explain

Thanks again. Jameso
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance,

I can't quite remember but I think we stuck our letter in with the pile of stuff to be stamped by our notarising solicitor. But that was probably unnecessary as a) it was an original, not a copy and b) he didn't witness us signing it. So a bit of overkill on our part I think, but maybe someone else knows for sure?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand why your applciation was returned to you?
Can you explain

Thanks again. Jameso
It was returned because they wanted more prove that my sponsor was returning to Canada. As he did not have a house or business, we were asked to provide a resignation letter to prove his intention.

There was no requirement to have it notarised or signed in front of anyone.

Kay