Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal application, married name or maiden name?

Spousal application, married name or maiden name?

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:29 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spousal application, married name or maiden name?

I have just recently married my Canadian partner on a trip down to the states and the nice immigration people gave me a year visitor visa so we could get the spousal application paperwork sorted bless em

My question is, is it better to get my name changed to my new married name on all docs (ie passport, drivers license etc) and then send away for police certs and send in the full sponsorship app or not?

I have read that if PR is granted it is in the name thats in your passport, and then you have to get your pr card changed with your married name.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which mght be the less stressful way to go around things?

Many thanks

Mrs Duck

Last edited by mandymoochops; Apr 20th 2010 at 5:30 pm. Reason: sticky keyboard
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal applcation, married name or maiden name?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I have just recently married my Canadian partner on a trip down to the states and the nice immigration people gave me a year visitor visa so we could get the spousal application paperwork sorted bless em

My question is, is it better to get my name changed to my new married name on all docs (ie passport, drivers license etc) and then send away for police certs and send in the full sponsorship app or not?

I have read that if PR is granted it is in the name thats in your passport, and then you have to get your pr card changed with your married name.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which mght be the less stressful way to go around things?

May thanks

Mrs Duck
Would the British cops know who Mrs Ducks is ??? i would send of using your known name in the UK but add that you are now Mrs Ducks. And the Spousal takes yonks
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Would the British cops know who Mrs Ducks is ??? i would send of using your known name in the UK but add that you are now Mrs Ducks. And the Spousal takes yonks
Well I wuld include a copy of the marriage license obviously

We are applying inland and as long as we can get to approval in principle stage within the year that gives me my OWP. Then at least there will be 2 incomes coming in

(Note its pronounced Dukes lol)
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:34 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

(Note its pronounced Dukes lol)

Dukes of Alberta, has a ring to it!

I looked at CHC and could not find any clear indication of whether to apply in married or maiden name, I would apply in married.

As in could be married or common law, I am sure they are used to dealing with either.

Good luck!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Clematis

Dukes of Alberta, has a ring to it!

I looked at CHC and could not find any clear indication of whether to apply in married or maiden name, I would apply in married.

As in could be married or common law, I am sure they are used to dealing with either.

Good luck!
I know I feel like Hyacynth Bucket lol.

Well we have more time now so I suppose all I have to do really is to change bank accounts / SIN / Passport / Driving license into the new name.

Oooh I don't know might on the other hand wait until pr is done and change the name on the card.

This decision is too much in these temps - wheres the beer ....................
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

I know I feel like Hyacynth Bucket lol.

Well we have more time now so I suppose all I have to do really is to change bank accounts / SIN / Passport / Driving license into the new name.

Oooh I don't know might on the other hand wait until pr is done and change the name on the card.

This decision is too much in these temps - wheres the beer ....................

Bucket residence how can one help get the application in with licence as you said that way you are not delaying, whilst that is going on apply for the other things in your married name, either way you have to change everything but don't want to delay your application :fingerscrossed
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal application, married name or maiden name?

Save time ,money and loads of form filing by option 1, keeping your name or option 2.. get Ducky to change his to yours
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:29 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Bucket residence how can one help get the application in with licence as you said that way you are not delaying, whilst that is going on apply for the other things in your married name, either way you have to change everything but don't want to delay your application :fingerscrossed
Yes I think thats the best option thanks CP

Gremmie you've seen how many Duckys there are, the family is like the mafia, hundreds of them lol - losing one to another clan I daren't think about it ??????
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

this is just my opinion but i'd give the option of applying outland some more thought.
by the time you get your work permit through inland, you may have your full PR if you apply outland. i think AIP takes 5 to 6 months. most people seem to be getting their outland PR visas by 3 or 4 months. just my 2 cents though good luck! plus even though you might be able to work when you get AIP you won't have access to health care etc
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:45 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by zoec
this is just my opinion but i'd give the option of applying outland some more thought.
by the time you get your work permit through inland, you may have your full PR if you apply outland. i think AIP takes 5 to 6 months. most people seem to be getting their outland PR visas by 3 or 4 months. just my 2 cents though good luck! plus even though you might be able to work when you get AIP you won't have access to health care etc

Hey Zoe actually applying outland is something i've been contemplating over the last day or so now, with the downside being that if called for an interview that we'd have to go to London.

Which begs the question - how many people are in Canada on a visitors visa, and applying via the outland route. And of these how many have been called for an interview?

Edited to add I do have healthcare at the mo.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

My partner was in Canada on visitor's visa. We applied outland (common-law app) and did not have to go to London. App was done and visa in hand within 4 mos. Actually, on my time in here, I can't think of anyone I've heard of who applied outland while in Canada that had to go in for an interview.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:39 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Thanks for that Kynn.

Following an extensive (well as extensive as it can get when your better half is trying to watch the hockey lol) we've decided to stay with the inland route.

Sure outland might be quicker, but as our case is slightly more complicated you can guarantee that we'd be the ones called for interview.

He's not overly worried that i'm not working either (which is a bonus )
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Apply using your married name...we always do :0)

Good Luck Mrs Ducky x
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well good luck, just wanted to make sure you had checked both routes! which im sure you already had!

also, how do you have healthcare? thats awesome! i just have travel insurance so im hoping i get my pr before it runs out again so i dont have to dish out more money!!