Sponsorship Visa - Best option?

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

oxocube is on a distinguished road
Default Sponsorship Visa - Best option?

Hi there,

I've been lurking on the forums for about a month now so I guess it's finally time to start asking questions!

My wife and I are looking to emigrate to Canada in the next 2 years. I'm after a bit of advice on rough timescales and is they way that we are looking at applying the best option?

My wife is Canadian and holds a current Canadian passport but has lived in the UK for the last 15 years. She has a stamp in her passport to say that she can live and work in the UK indefinatly(she posted here a couple of days ago about possibly losing that stamp if we go back). After contacting the High consulate in London they told me the best option would be to go sponsored even though I meet the requirements for skilled work Visa (80 points). The thing I'm concerned about is that with my wife living over here for so long and is going to be applying while we are both in the UK, is that going to harm my application? All of her family still live in Canada except for her parents who now live in the US so there is plenty of family out there to help and support plus we will be financially independant with the amount of funds that will be available to take over with us.

Is sponsorship the best option? Is it worth getting an immigration consultant for the application?(Apologies, I'm sure this is going to be the first of many question over the course of the application process)

Many thanks

Stuart

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Geet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sponsorship Visa - Best option?

Sponsership is the best and fastest option. I hope that PMM, Jim and Andrew will give you the best advise.
Good Luck and welcome.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oxocube
Hi there,

I've been lurking on the forums for about a month now so I guess it's finally time to start asking questions!

My wife and I are looking to emigrate to Canada in the next 2 years. I'm after a bit of advice on rough timescales and is they way that we are looking at applying the best option?

My wife is Canadian and holds a current Canadian passport but has lived in the UK for the last 15 years. She has a stamp in her passport to say that she can live and work in the UK indefinatly(she posted here a couple of days ago about possibly losing that stamp if we go back). After contacting the High consulate in London they told me the best option would be to go sponsored even though I meet the requirements for skilled work Visa (80 points). The thing I'm concerned about is that with my wife living over here for so long and is going to be applying while we are both in the UK, is that going to harm my application? All of her family still live in Canada except for her parents who now live in the US so there is plenty of family out there to help and support plus we will be financially independant with the amount of funds that will be available to take over with us.

Is sponsorship the best option? Is it worth getting an immigration consultant for the application?(Apologies, I'm sure this is going to be the first of many question over the course of the application process)

Many thanks

Stuart

Stuart

Sponsorship is the easiest and fastest option. Your wife can definitely apply to sponsor you since she holds a Canadian passport. I will address the three main points you have raised:

Firstly, in applying for sponsorship, your wife will need to demonstrate that she intends to re-settle in Canada. These can be done in a variety of ways including gaining employment, investments, property etc The timescales are more difficult to predict but it seems (from threads posted here and personal experience) to take about 6 months if your are application will be dealt with by the London Visa Office. It is a two staged process. Details of this can be found on the CIC website. The address for ease of reference is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html The address for the most recent timelines is: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...c-spouses.html

Secondly, you do not automatically lose your residency when you leave the UK. You are still able to re-settle here within two years. However, I will advise that you wife applies for Uk citizenship since she has lived here for 15 years. This will give her the option to return (were she so inclined) to the UK whenever she liked!!

Lastly, on the point of using a consultant, I don't think you need to use one as the sponsorship application is rather straight forward. You will also find this forum a useful and supportive tool during (and after) the application process. Gathering the evidence and filling out the forms might be time comsuming but its definitely a straight forward process.

I hope this is helpful

Good luck and best wishes

Kay
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stuart -

I posted in the other thread, was working backwards!

Just to confirm, I've never lived a nanosecond in Canada (but am a citizen and passport holder by descent through my Canadian father) and it has no bearing on your application whatsoever.

You need to declare it is your intent to return, and you need to prove you have made steps to do that (see CIC guide for details, things like bank account, property purchase/lease...etc) but the amount of time you've spent outside Canada isn't a factor in a successful sponsorship.

Best of luck

Biiiiink