Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship Via Common-law Partner for Canadian PR

Sponsorship Via Common-law Partner for Canadian PR

Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Richardftw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship Via Common-law Partner for Canadian PR

Hey there,

I'm a British Resident and my partner is a Canadian Resident.

Me and my partner are looking into the best way to get me into Canada as a PR. Currently I'm on my 2nd IEC Visa, during my first we were not in a relationship for the full year I was in Canada. then we were in a Long distance relationship for ~1.5 Years and now on my 2nd IEC we moved in shortly after I arrived, Opened a joint bank account, pay the lease together and have been living together for 5 Months.

My understanding is that even though this is a commited long term relationship we still must wait until the 1 Year mark to apply for a Common-law Visa. If this is the case I'm hoping to get my 3rd and Final IEC next year during the 8-10 Month process for application and/or get a Visitors Visa.

I was wondering how the process of re-poling to get a Visitors Visa / issuing another IEC works?

Or if there are alternatives to doing it this way, My GF is self employed and I don't have any kind of University education, Unsure if that effects the process.

Any info would be hugely helpful as we REALLY don't wanna be long distance again.

Thanks,
Richard & Alyssa
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Via Common-law Partner for Canadian PR

Originally Posted by Richardftw
Hey there,

I'm a British Resident and my partner is a Canadian Resident.

Me and my partner are looking into the best way to get me into Canada as a PR. Currently I'm on my 2nd IEC Visa, during my first we were not in a relationship for the full year I was in Canada. then we were in a Long distance relationship for ~1.5 Years and now on my 2nd IEC we moved in shortly after I arrived, Opened a joint bank account, pay the lease together and have been living together for 5 Months.

My understanding is that even though this is a commited long term relationship we still must wait until the 1 Year mark to apply for a Common-law Visa. If this is the case I'm hoping to get my 3rd and Final IEC next year during the 8-10 Month process for application and/or get a Visitors Visa.

I was wondering how the process of re-poling to get a Visitors Visa / issuing another IEC works?

Or if there are alternatives to doing it this way, My GF is self employed and I don't have any kind of University education, Unsure if that effects the process.

Any info would be hugely helpful as we REALLY don't wanna be long distance again.

Thanks,
Richard & Alyssa
Hello and welcome to BE!

To apply through the common-law (family, spousal) stream you will need to have lived together for at least 12 months before you are able to apply. Your education levels won't affect you applying for common-law sponsorship, nor will your g/f's income level.

I am presuming that your 1st IEC was through BUNAC and that is why you are able to obtain a 3rd WHV?

With regards to change of status, if you are changing to visitor status you can do that either online or by mail - but must do it prior to your current IEC expiring. If you want to activate a new IEC visa then you could 'flagpole' at your nearest border crossing.

Depending on which Province you are living in - and what job you are doing - you may be able to apply for Provincial Nomination (with your employers assistance) rather than waiting to apply common-law. You can read more about it here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp - some have semi-skilled streams as well as skilled worker streams.

If you have a read through the wiki, there are more than 50 different ways for PR into Canada so it may be worth you taking a look if you don't want to wait another 7 months to apply through common-law sponsorship.

Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to wait to apply for PR, you could get married now and apply for spousal sponsorship right away.

Good luck!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Richardftw is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding was that it was the same application married or not? And that you would still need to provide the same level of proof / information anyway.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding was that it was the same application married or not? And that you would still need to provide the same level of proof / information anyway.
Nope. If you got married all you would need is your marriage certificate to apply for sponsorship.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is that you would not have to wait until you have lived together for a minimum of twelve months. You would still need to provide information about your relationship (to prove that it is genuine) but there isn't the same level of proof required as there is for a common-law application.

Have a read of the application forms, the guidelines and the manual and it will help you to know what you will need as proof of genuine relationship:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:05 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

For an application where you're married, as Siouxie said, you still have to show evidence that your relationship is genuine, so they'll still want to see things like pictures of trips, pictures from the wedding, the relationship progression, all that stuff. For Common-Law they need to have all that evidence plus evidence that you are living together as a married couple, so they'll also want to see things like joint lease, joint bank account, insurance policies with each other as beneficiaries, joint purchases, the statutory declarations from friends and family, etc etc etc.

Otherwise it's the same application form.