Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship v employment - which way to go

Sponsorship v employment - which way to go

Old Oct 16th 2018, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

oldlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sponsorship v employment - which way to go

Hello

My daughter, son in law and grandson live in New Brunswick. My son in law is a Canadian, my daughter is a Canadian citizen. My husband and I would dearly like to join them out there but there are some obstacles. I am still working here, in a professional role and would seek work out there but I am 61 and am not sure I would be employable given my age. My family would sponsor us but they don't have the required income. We would have cash from the sale of our house in the UK and obviously pensions if we didn't work but that doesn't seem to be taken into account with sponsorship. I'm happy to work if I can get employment but its a bit of dilemma really. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 16th 2018, 4:16 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship v employment - which way to go

It sounds like a 'Super Visa' would be best. Take a look at this link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...uper-visa.html
Old Oct 16th 2018, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. It may be the way to go but possibly last resort as still requires minimum income.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

fourspoon is an unknown quantity at this point

We've looked at this for my father. Super visa won't entitle you any healthcare coverage whilst you are here, there is insurance you can take but its expensive.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

How e pensive? Hundreds, thousands?
Old Oct 16th 2018, 7:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With Supervisa they would still need a minimum income in order to support your application.
Financial support (proof of funds)

The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:
  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  • Employment Insurance stubs
  • employment letter including salary and date of hiring
  • pay stubs
  • bank statements
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Insurance is a requirement, not an option - you would need insurance from a Canadian Insurer and you would not be allowed to work whilst here.
The super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to two years at a time. If you want to stay for six months or less, apply for a visitor visa.

To be eligible for the super visa, you must:
  • be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have a signed letter from the child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:
    • a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit
    • the list and number of people in the household of this person
    • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • have medical insurance from a CANADIAN insurance company that is:
    • valid for at least one year from the date of entry
    • at least $100,000 for minimum coverage
  • have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)
The 'inviter' or 'sponsor' has to sign an undertaking to take care of the financial costs, hence why they will not consider any savings or income you might personally have - only what the family in Canada have... they have to ensure that they can afford to give financial assistance, if necessary.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 16th 2018 at 7:24 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldlady
How e pensive? Hundreds, thousands?
Dependent on age of applicants and duration required (2 years initially on super visa which can be extended) could be a few thousand. Look at getting a few quotes.