Wikiposts

Sponsorship Restrictions

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

shaymus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship Restrictions

Hi,

My Canadian girlfriend is willing to sponsor me to come over to Canada and I am looking to do a course to increase my skills and network some employers. I hope that after completion I will be more likely to find a job and I will hopefully have some contacts.

After I find a job and I am financially responsible for myself would she be able to go back to Uni to do her masters? Sponsorship looks the best, quickest route, but I don't know what restrictions it imposes on her. I aim to apply for citzenship after 3 years but I hope she doesn't have to wait that long to do the course.

Hope someone can help and thanks for reading

Sean
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Restrictions

If you're not married, I believe that at the time of the application she'll have to 'show' funds that would enable her to meet your needs as well as hers.

I doubt there's an ongoing check in years to come to see if that still applies, so unless something like Social Assistance becomes an issue later, I can't see a problem arising.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:01 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Funds will not likely be a problem unless she is receiving welfare payments. You should read the guides on the CIC's website for sponsorship of spouses. The required forms etc. are there also.
Start here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Note that you will need to show that you have been co-habiting for at least one year prior to submitting the application.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Jim do you know of any ongoing checks that are made? We intend to raise about $40,000 Canadian to support everything we want to do, but as soon as I get a job I would like my girlfriend to be able to do her masters. We will having be living together for 12 months we will apply and we'll currently getting joint things set-up like bills and a bank account. We have plenty of evidence of our no-longer long distance 4 year relationship. It's just the restrictions imposed by sponsorship that we weren't sure of.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaymus
We will having be living together for 12 months we will apply and we'll currently getting joint things set-up like bills and a bank account. We have plenty of evidence of our no-longer long distance 4 year relationship. It's just the restrictions imposed by sponsorship that we weren't sure of.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Just had to check, you are aware that you'll have to have lived together for at least one year before she can sponsor you? Proof of a long distance relationship is no good, you have to provide evidence that you've lived as man and wife for a minimum of 12 months i.e. joint bank accounts, mortgage statement or rental agreement, utility bills, etc.

I'm not sure how long you've lived together but thought I'd better mention it just in case! Good luck.

Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Sorry for not being clear. Yes we'll not be applying for sponsorship until after a year of living together. Then I plan to get a student visa whilst I wait for the paperwork on the sponsorship to come through.