Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

sponsorship questions outland application

sponsorship questions outland application

Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

lilyandh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sponsorship questions outland application

Hi Everyone,
first off I'd like to mention that some of the abbreviations that are used here I dont know what they mean. Can you please clarify when posting to me, thanks
I am currently in Canada on a extended visitors pass. I am British born, married to my Canadian spouse. We are going to be applying for sponsorship real soon, we will be using application form 'outside canada sponsorship'. But we've read throughly the application form and have a few questions. Its great we stumbled across this site.
Our questions are;
a) can I do an 'out of Canada' while in Canada sponsorship application?
b) the medical can I have it done here in Canada and what forms do I take? (it seems real unclear to me)
c) do I apply for a permenate resident card seperately, do I apply for a workers permit seperately? or does this all come together when we applying for the sponsorship application (generic application form for Canada IMM 0008)?
d) once accepted do I need to leave Canada to offically 'Land' here?

once again thanks for your help
lilyandh
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:18 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsorship questions outland application

Originally Posted by lilyandh
Hi Everyone,
first off I'd like to mention that some of the abbreviations that are used here I dont know what they mean. Can you please clarify when posting to me, thanks
I am currently in Canada on a extended visitors pass. I am British born, married to my Canadian spouse. We are going to be applying for sponsorship real soon, we will be using application form 'outside canada sponsorship'. But we've read throughly the application form and have a few questions. Its great we stumbled across this site.
Our questions are;
a) can I do an 'out of Canada' while in Canada sponsorship application?
b) the medical can I have it done here in Canada and what forms do I take? (it seems real unclear to me)
c) do I apply for a permenate resident card seperately, do I apply for a workers permit seperately? or does this all come together when we applying for the sponsorship application (generic application form for Canada IMM 0008)?
d) once accepted do I need to leave Canada to offically 'Land' here?

once again thanks for your help
lilyandh
Yes you can do Outland via London from within Canada

Yes you can have your medical in Canada. You take the medical part of the application with you and send the receipt given afterwards with the rest of the application.

You get your PR card once you activate your visa once approved

You don't need a work permit, the PR card is all you need

Once accepted you can activate your PR at the border.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:35 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

There are two guides which accompany the forms for sponsorship of spouses. Most of your questions would be answered there. The forms themselves can indeed be confusing.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I'm still a bit confused. Do I apply seperately for PR card within the sponsorship application forms?
thanks
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm still a bit confused. Do I apply seperately for PR card within the sponsorship application forms?
thanks
No.
Once you have been approved and issued the COPR forms by the visa office and you do your landing in Canada the PR card will be sent to you at the Canadian address you provide when landing. No application forms necessary.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Per Former Lancastrians post, you arrange for your PR card at the airport once you arrive to activate your Visa.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Per Former Lancastrians post, you arrange for your PR card at the airport once you arrive to activate your Visa.
I'm sorry I don't understand? visa? I'm from a visa exempt country. Once approved will I need to leave Canada then to 'land' ? will I have to go back to the UK to do so?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I don't understand? visa? I'm from a visa exempt country. Once approved will I need to leave Canada then to 'land' ? will I have to go back to the UK to do so?
In your case you will not get a visa counterfoil in your passport. You will be sent 2 x COPR forms when application has been completed. If you are already in Canada then you have the choice of making an appointment at your nearest CIC (not CBSA) office to do your landing or flagpoling i.e. driving to the nearest land border crossing Canada/USA turning around and then landing. if you are in the UK you turn up at the airport speak with Immigration (CBSA) hand over your COPR forms and let our ever so friendly Border Services Officer complete the landing.
Most people choose to flagpole as they can combine a shopping trip along with it. You apply for the I94 waiver at the US border pay them $6 USD.
You can then find the nearest Walmart or Target store and load up with cheaper Chinese made crap to bring back with you.
It seems like you are already in Canada so depending where you live might dictate if you land at a CIC office or flagpole.