Sponsorship questions

Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future
Default Sponsorship questions

Hi Guys!

<Moved>...me and my Canadian girlfriend (she is over in Canada now, I am in UK ) are also considering going through the Partnership Visa application process, and I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some nice knowledgeable may be able to answer:

1. We met in Canada in January 2007, and then lived together in the UK for just over 12 months from 05/05/07 - 09/05/08, but we don't have much 'evidence' of us actually being together for the first few months that she was here, as it took her a while to get a job, bank account, name on bills etc. - is this likely to be a problem? We have friends and family who would be willing to write to 'endorse' the relationship though - would this be enough?

2. The second question is regarding finances - what if the Sponsor has not been in Canada for 12 months prior to the application, and has not been earning the required amount of $$$, but is earning the required amount at the time of application?

3. Does the PR process take into account the finances of the Sponsored person i.e. the UK Citizen's financial situation also? Would UK debt, or Bankruptcy be taken into account in the application?

4. Does the application process take longer because my girlfriend is in Canada and I am in UK?

Sorry - turned into 4 questions!!!

Look forward to hearing...

Cheers!

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jun 20th 2008 at 1:48 pm. Reason: Moved to new thread so you'll get better answers, don't tag onto threads about other topics
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sponsorship questions

you have to be able to prove 12 months co-habiting if not married.
it depends on who is bankrupt. for her to sponsor you (providing she meets all the other criteria) she would need to be a DISCHARGED bankrupt.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future

That is what I was saying - we may struggle to prove 12 months co-habiting (we are not married) as there was no 'official' record as such - she had no UK bank account, bills, job etc. Would a letter from friends and family be acceptable?

Neither of us are bankrupt at the moment. It has been suggested to me by various Organisations - Citizen Advice Bureau, National Debtline, even Natwest bank that I go bankrupt, although for me it is a last resort that I want to avoid. But if I have no other alternative, would it affect our Visa application do you know?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

1. I think you have to be living together at the time of application - you should look into that. 12mths cohabitation in the past isn't enough I think.

2. There is no requirement for a Canadian citizen to be in Canada at the time of application to sponsor, nor do they have to earn a certain amount or indeed anything at all. I think the only stipulation is that they not be on welfare/claiming social assistance or whatever it's called here.

3. I don't think so, but if there has been criminal activity/court activity that might show up on a police check/background check but having debts doesn't stop you being a PR afaik. Be aware that UK judgements are enforceable in Ontario (if not other provinces too) so you can't leave them behind.

4. No but see 1 - I don't think you can apply when not living together anyway.