Wikiposts

sponsorship questions

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:55 am
Just Joined

wantaeflit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sponsorship questions

I posted this in the wrong bit before so sorry for the repost.

I am a Canadian citizen, I applied last year when I found out I could because my mum is Canadian. I got my citizenship this year and I live in Scotland and have done all my life, never even set foot in Canada. Now both me and my partner (of 10 years) want to live there and are off to Canada for a big holiday next month to check it out etc. I have been looking at the CIC web site to try and find out about how to go about this sponsoring lark but no luck, it just keeps throwing up more and more questions.

First things first, my big questions which is can I actually sponsor my partner? I found this in the FAQ in guidelines to sponsoring "You can not sponsor a person as your spouse, common law partner etc if you are a permanent resident or naturalized citizenof Canada and at the time you made your application for permanent residence that person was a non-accompanying family member, former spouse or common law partner and was not examined..."

What does it all mean??

Does that mean because I initially applied all on my own that now I can't sponsor my partner? We have been together for years and plan to get married soon so I am guessing that I can sponsor but the above quote has me all in a muddle.

Do I need to be a permanent resident or does my citizenship cover all residency issues?

That will more than do for now, thank you all in advance from both of us,

The Wantaeflits
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:48 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sponsorship questions

It applies to those PR or naturalized citizens who applied for Canadian PR visa and obtained such as single while not disclosing the fact (and not including in the application) of having a spouse or common-law partner.

You never applied for PR - you are a citizen due to being born to Canadian mother.

Originally posted by wantaeflit
I posted this in the wrong bit before so sorry for the repost.

I am a Canadian citizen, I applied last year when I found out I could because my mum is Canadian. I got my citizenship this year and I live in Scotland and have done all my life, never even set foot in Canada. Now both me and my partner (of 10 years) want to live there and are off to Canada for a big holiday next month to check it out etc. I have been looking at the CIC web site to try and find out about how to go about this sponsoring lark but no luck, it just keeps throwing up more and more questions.

First things first, my big questions which is can I actually sponsor my partner? I found this in the FAQ in guidelines to sponsoring "You can not sponsor a person as your spouse, common law partner etc if you are a permanent resident or naturalized citizenof Canada and at the time you made your application for permanent residence that person was a non-accompanying family member, former spouse or common law partner and was not examined..."

What does it all mean??

Does that mean because I initially applied all on my own that now I can't sponsor my partner? We have been together for years and plan to get married soon so I am guessing that I can sponsor but the above quote has me all in a muddle.

Do I need to be a permanent resident or does my citizenship cover all residency issues?

That will more than do for now, thank you all in advance from both of us,

The Wantaeflits
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:02 am
Just Joined

wantaeflit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sponsorship questions

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
It applies to those PR or naturalized citizens who applied for Canadian PR visa and obtained such as single while not disclosing the fact (and not including in the application) of having a spouse or common-law partner.

You never applied for PR - you are a citizen due to being born to Canadian mother.

Thanks for that :-)