Wikiposts

Sponsorship question

Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:13 am
Just Joined

simonvdub is a jewel in the roughsimonvdub is a jewel in the roughsimonvdub is a jewel in the roughsimonvdub is a jewel in the rough
Default Sponsorship question

My sister-in-law has applied to sponsor my mother-in-law - they sent the forms off in Canada in September 2006 and haven't heard anything back as yet.

My MIL visits the country often and stays for 3 - 6 months as a visitor (she's retired and owns a property here, living off a UK pension). When she came back into Canada last September (2007) from the UK, she was held for interview by immigration who told her based on the amount of time she has spent in Canada since 2006, she'd have to leave by March 2008 (i.e. after 6 months) and would not be able to return again until the sponsorship application process was completed.

Basically all her family are now in Canada - children, grandchildren, etc. Is there anything she (or my sister-in-law as her potential sponsor) can do so she can stay in Canada until this process is sorted. Are there any compassionate grounds for appeal or to speed up the process?

Thanks, any advice much appreciated.

Simon.