Sponsorship Question

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

shuresh.khan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship Question

Can anyone tell me what does the following mean:

You cannot sponsor a person as your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

• you are a permanent resident or a naturalized citizen of Canada and at the time you made your application for permanent residence, that person was a non-accompanying family member, former spouse or common-law partner and was not examined.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship Question

It means exactly what it says. A non-accompanying spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who was not examined (didn't undergo medical check) during immigrant's PR application process is not longer a family class member and cannot be later sponsored by said immigrant.

In other words - if you had a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner when you applied for PR, when your PR application was processed, when visa was issued and/or at the time of your landing as PR in Canada and such person didn't undergo medicals with you then you cannot sponsor that person now when you are already a PR or even a citizen, you cannot sponsor that person ever.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Dec 3rd 2007 at 7:07 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:57 am
Just Joined

shuresh.khan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It means exactly what it says. A non-accompanying spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who was not examined (didn't undergo medical check) during immigrant's PR application process is not longer a family class member and cannot be later sponsored by said immigrant.

In other words - if you had a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner when you applied for PR, when your PR application was processed, when visa was issued and/or at the time of your landing as PR in Canada and such person didn't undergo medicals with you then you cannot sponsor that person now when you are already a PR or even a citizen, you cannot sponsor that person ever.
Thanks Andrew for reply. Just a matter of curiosity, why CIC has set this rule?

Thansk again.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:04 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by shuresh.khan
Thanks Andrew for reply. Just a matter of curiosity, why CIC has set this rule?

Thansk again.
As there were people being processed as single, when in actual fact they had wifes and children not declared, who were inadmissible, usually medical.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:22 pm

And there are still many applicants from Subcontinent who, after getting their PR visa immediately start "shopping" for wife with larger dowry. They get married, get the money and then land in Canada still not declaring the spouse, hoping to sponsor spouse later. Or never have any intention to sponsor as tens of thousands of abandoned brides in India prove...
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

And there are still many applicants from Subcontinent who, after getting their PR visa immediately start "shopping" for wife with larger dowry. They get married, get the money and then land in Canada still not declaring the spouse, hoping to sponsor spouse later. Or never have any intention to sponsor as tens of thousands of abandoned brides in India prove...
Andrew, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to "many applicants from the subcontinent". While what you state in the latest post is unfortunately true, but having read many of your responses in the past, you don't waste much time in pigeonholing and venting out against people from that part of the world for umpteen reasons.. do you?

Having said that, your knowledge per se on immigration matters and willingness to dispense it is definitely appreciated and respected by everybody, including many from the subcontinent, on this forum.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:12 pm

I have nothing on my shoulder and don't vent anything against anyone here. As a matter of fact about 50% of my loyal and satisfied clients are originally from Subcontinent.

You are simply too sensitive and you feel offended when reading anything what you may seem as criticism - why is this? You should ask yourself this question and live with the answer.

I've been even accused of racism here many times already on the same topic - but it seems to have a lot to do with over-nationalistic or even chauvinistic feelings of responders feeling offended.

I don't take it as offense, understanding that it is just in the culture of responders who in most cases, just like yourself, admit that facts stated by me are true but they still feel offended and feel urge to vent their anger and by doing so they prove being completely intolerant while demanding from others to be tolerant and sensitive. Which BTW may be seen by some as reverse racism.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

PMM answered Shuresh's question without pigeonholing any nationality, but you go on about what still many applicants from the subcontinent do, their "shopping", and the abandoned brides in India.. what's the need? Why don't you (just like other professional lawyers do) stick to explaining the intent behind that sponsorship eligibility rule?

I do not think it's so much about sensitivities here as you so eloquently explained (and even asked me to ask myself and live with the answer, as if you had some insight). It's about knowing and giving that knowledge correctly. And in your capacity/role on this forum - it's about being professional.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

eyad is an unknown quantity at this point

can a student sponsor her husband if she gets married? and what is needed? and what is the procedure?
(at the present she is a university student in canada and will be married from a person at the home country)
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

eyad is an unknown quantity at this point

can a student sponsor her husband if she gets married? and what is needed? and what is the procedure?
(at the present she is a university student in canada and will be married from a person at the home country)
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But this doesn't answer why they don't do this "stunt" in proper order - ie, land first and then get married.

Although if CIC really wanted to they could put an embargo on new PRs sponsoring spouses.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

elvrod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hfxns
PMM answered Shuresh's question without pigeonholing any nationality, but you go on about what still many applicants from the subcontinent do, their "shopping", and the abandoned brides in India.. what's the need? Why don't you (just like other professional lawyers do) stick to explaining the intent behind that sponsorship eligibility rule?

I do not think it's so much about sensitivities here as you so eloquently explained (and even asked me to ask myself and live with the answer, as if you had some insight). It's about knowing and giving that knowledge correctly. And in your capacity/role on this forum - it's about being professional.
I agree with hfxns, being from the subcontinent myself, I feel hurt when people instead of being object, characterise a whole group of people. I don't know the stats, but there are also lot of europeans especially in the east, which try to flaunt the immigration rules for spousal sponsorship to immigrate here. But that does not mean all east europeans do that. There are circumstances and local environments which force people to do it. Andrew you could have been more tactfull instead of using the language as "shopping for wifes" and "sub-continent".
Anyways this is only my opinion, I hope I don't get crucified for putting across my opinion, and labeled as a reverse racist.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:23 pm

You have to ask them Jeremy - they all should read warnings in every letter they received from visa post. But many simply don't. Seems they think their "price" went up substantially and want to "cash in" as soon as they have shiny visa in passport. Maybe they don't even have settlement funds (used borrowed money during application) and need money to land, maybe they don't want to spend money on landing trip and returning back home to shop for wife, maybe... I just don't know the real reason or reasons behind such stupid mistakes they make.

I only know that all, 100% of those who contact me for help after they got married prior to landing are from the mentioned part of the world, not from other places.

I only wish visa posts would print in big, bold, red characters a fully detailed warning in PPR letters, maybe even asking applicant to sign that he read and understands the warning - then maybe more will read it and won't make same mistake over and over again.