Sponsorship for Family Member

Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship for Family Member

Hi all

I apologise if this has been mentioned before or if there is another thread but i couldnt find anything when i searched for it

I am trying to find out some information about applying for Permanent Residency in Canada via the Family Sponsorship Scheme.

My situation is below.

My Uncle, who is now 60, Emigrated to BC/Vancouver when he was 17. He is now a Citizen of Canada and has been for many years.

He is an IT Professor and lecturer at the University but is now semi retired and now works part time.

I am a police officer in the UK and have wanted to join the police in Canada for sometime. I am aware that Canada and certain regions were offering PR when recruiting from the UK but at the time it didnt suit my situation.

That chance has now passed with no future prospects of UK recruiting so the only other chance i have is to apply via this stream and then apply for the police with PR.

I am 26, have a good education with no ties.

Do i have a good chance of applying and being granted PR status?

Any information would be gratefully received

Cheers

Eddie
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship for Family Member

Hi Eddie.

If you read the info on family sponsorship on the CIC website you'll see that sponsoring a nephew is not an option unless you are his only family member?

So, you'll probably need to look in to other visa options I'm afraid. Have a look at the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for info on other ways to get a visa.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi, cheers for the reply.

I have been reading the immigration section for weeks now and its just been going round and round in my mind.

The way i interpreted it was you could sponsor a Nephew/Niece etc if you hadnt already sponsored someone from your family already.

This was the alternate route if you werent orphaned or over 18.

im not too sure though
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESTM
The way i interpreted it was you could sponsor a Nephew/Niece etc if you hadnt already sponsored someone from your family already.
Unfortunately, you've misunderstood.

The exact wording is "you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class" - as you can see, that doesn't say anything about having sponsored somebody else already, only that you can't if you have any of those relatives living. It doesn't matter if he has sponsored them or not, if they exist at all he cannot sponsor you.

Good luck finding another route.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

ok, makes more sense now.

Thanks for your help, i did misundertand it, i was explained the information from a friend before reading and youve just settled the confusion.

Im never going to be able to leave the UK at this rate, but i can if i can deep fry chips and make sandwiches (Chef skilled class) lol

Cheers