sponsorship and bankruptcy

Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

kmn22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question sponsorship and bankruptcy

Can anyone offer any advice on this situation....
I am currently in Canada and my partner will be sponsoring me as his spouse but i have debts back in the Uk which im struggling to pay off as im not earning enough money in Canada.
I have been looking into voluntary bankruptcy back in the uk but am worried it will have implications on our application. I cant seem to find any clear information on this anywhere.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsorship and bankruptcy

Originally Posted by kmn22
I am currently in Canada and my partner will be sponsoring me as his spouse but i have debts back in the Uk which im struggling to pay off as im not earning enough money in Canada.
I have been looking into voluntary bankruptcy back in the uk but am worried it will have implications on our application. I cant seem to find any clear information on this anywhere.
I'm not sure if it affects your application but it will affect your credit in Canada (as far as i believe).
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We have friends in the same situation. Canadian and British....Canadian is sponsoring his wife and they both have BR in UK. They have been advised as long as they see out their 12 month BR status and keep up any payments required they are fine. After that, it is out of control of the BR people to chase you abroad...even in Canada. They have been advised to send payments back for the total 3 years they need to pay back but it has nothing to do with Canada when they get there as again, they will not go through the hassle of checking financial backgrounds in UK.

Look into it but that is what their BR adviser has told them as they were honest and discussed the opportunity that came up for them to move away.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:39 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
Hi

We have friends in the same situation. Canadian and British....Canadian is sponsoring his wife and they both have BR in UK. They have been advised as long as they see out their 12 month BR status and keep up any payments required they are fine. After that, it is out of control of the BR people to chase you abroad...even in Canada. They have been advised to send payments back for the total 3 years they need to pay back but it has nothing to do with Canada when they get there as again, they will not go through the hassle of checking financial backgrounds in UK.

Look into it but that is what their BR adviser has told them as they were honest and discussed the opportunity that came up for them to move away.

Hope this helps.
Just to help, when we applied for credit we had to supply credit reports etc from the uk.
On the forms from the bank etc they did ask if you had been bankrupt etc
Not sure if they can check or not, but they do ask on the forms inc morgage.
But if you want to move over and not get a morgage etc you should be fine...........

LB
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
Just to help, when we applied for credit we had to supply credit reports etc from the uk.
On the forms from the bank etc they did ask if you had been bankrupt etc
Not sure if they can check or not, but they do ask on the forms inc morgage.
But if you want to move over and not get a morgage etc you should be fine...........

LB
When you sign a legal document, it is usually best to be truthful though, or it can come back on you anytime in the future.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:18 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
When you sign a legal document, it is usually best to be truthful though, or it can come back on you anytime in the future.
Exactly, that is why i said if they want to move over and not get a morgage they will be fine, i cant see them being able to secure a morgage.
Afriend of mine has just secured a morgage (just before xmas) and wow did they want alot of forms from the uk, she is PR as well, although new to canada
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
Exactly, that is why i said if they want to move over and not get a morgage they will be fine, i cant see them being able to secure a morgage.
Afriend of mine has just secured a morgage (just before xmas) and wow did they want alot of forms from the uk, she is PR as well, although new to canada
Unless they want to rent for their entire lives, they will need a mortgage. They are unlikely to have substantial amounts of cash given their history.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but as far as i know, unlike the United States, bankruptcy follows you to Canada.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I think what everyone is trying to say is that it won't affect your residency application, but it may affect your personal financial future.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

kmn22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the advice... my partner already has a mortgage and we have cars that have been bought outright so we are ok in that respect!!!
My partner earns enough money to have the mortgage in his own name and we are happy with the house we have for at least the next few years!!

The only thing we are concerned about is when he comes to sponsor me.... will they ask or do checks on financial status back in the UK and if this comes back as bankrupt or 'bad debts' will they refuse me? I have a job here that pays our bills and living costs but i just dont have enough money left at the end of the month to send money back to the UK even though when i left the UK i had every intention on paying them back in full !!
IT COSTS A FORTUNE TO LIVE IN CANADA!!! lol
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for the advice... my partner already has a mortgage and we have cars that have been bought outright so we are ok in that respect!!!
My partner earns enough money to have the mortgage in his own name and we are happy with the house we have for at least the next few years!!

The only thing we are concerned about is when he comes to sponsor me.... will they ask or do checks on financial status back in the UK and if this comes back as bankrupt or 'bad debts' will they refuse me? I have a job here that pays our bills and living costs but i just dont have enough money left at the end of the month to send money back to the UK even though when i left the UK i had every intention on paying them back in full !!
IT COSTS A FORTUNE TO LIVE IN CANADA!!! lol
As long as you are discharged before you apply for sponsorship that is all that matters.