Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:15 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
ashleyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Hi everyone! I'm a Canadian living in the UK, and my fiance and I plan to move back to Canada in 2012 via the sponsorship route. Do we have to send off our original passports/travel documents when we submit the application, or can we send copies? Also, if we have to send the originals, will they be returned to us before a final decision is made? If we have to go 9 months without passports we might have to re-think when to make the application.

Thank you in advance!

Ashley
ashleyi is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:22 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Originally Posted by ashleyi
Hi everyone! I'm a Canadian living in the UK, and my fiance and I plan to move back to Canada in 2012 via the sponsorship route. Do we have to send off our original passports/travel documents when we submit the application, or can we send copies? Also, if we have to send the originals, will they be returned to us before a final decision is made? If we have to go 9 months without passports we might have to re-think when to make the application.

Thank you in advance!

Ashley
Hi Ashley, and welcome to BE.

You don't send your passport off with your application, you'll get a passport request once the application has been processed & approved. If you download the document checklist from the CIC website, you'll see exactly what you need to send with the application.

Also, it's usually much quicker than 9 months for spousal sponsorship - figure about 3-6 months, although we have had recent cases on the forum take as little as 2 months. The figures on the CIC processing time section seem to be a little out of date.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:19 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Coventry england
Posts: 157
merylbaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Ashley, and welcome to BE.

You don't send your passport off with your application, you'll get a passport request once the application has been processed & approved. If you download the document checklist from the CIC website, you'll see exactly what you need to send with the application.

Also, it's usually much quicker than 9 months for spousal sponsorship - figure about 3-6 months, although we have had recent cases on the forum take as little as 2 months. The figures on the CIC processing time section seem to be a little out of date.

HTH.
Is that time scale for the whole spousal sponsorship process or just the approval of the sponsor , as i too had been going by the figures on the CIC website
merylbaz is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:21 am
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Originally Posted by merylbaz
Is that time scale for the whole spousal sponsorship process or just the approval of the sponsor , as i too had been going by the figures on the CIC website
Whole process, we've had 8 weeks from start to finish on the forum recently - pretty darn quick!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:26 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Coventry england
Posts: 157
merylbaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Whole process, we've had 8 weeks from start to finish on the forum recently - pretty darn quick!
wow , might be over sooner than we thought, just have to plough through all the forms I printed out last night, Will be on a mission next week as I am off for half term
merylbaz is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:35 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
ashleyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Thanks Christmas! Looks like I will get my trip to Italy this year as well! I can't believe how quick the applications are getting processed, I think I'll wait a little while before sending mine off, ass we were aiming for submitting the application in January and moving in September. Am I right in thinking that you have 12 months to use/activate the visa if you're successful?

This forum is great by the way, it has relieved so much of the stress and worry about our application. Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories!

Ashleyi
ashleyi is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
  #7  
Aberdeen to Vancouver
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 26
RandomlyGenerated is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

Originally Posted by ashleyi
Am I right in thinking that you have 12 months to use/activate the visa if you're successful?
12 months from the date of your medicals.
RandomlyGenerated is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:12 pm
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,167
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Application Passport Question

As RG said, it's 12 months from the date of your medicals, but don't forget that you don't have to stay in Canada if you're not quite ready to move - you can go over, 'land' to activate the visa, and then return to the UK on the next flight if you want to.


And definitely get a trip to Italy in if you can, you won't believe how much you miss cheap weekends in Europe once you're in Canada!

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.