Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship Application - How Much Longer

Wikiposts

Sponsorship Application - How Much Longer

Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Gemini06Yellow has a spectacular aura aboutGemini06Yellow has a spectacular aura aboutGemini06Yellow has a spectacular aura about
Default Sponsorship Application - How Much Longer

I am being sponsored by my Canadian husband and submitted application June last year which is when they started processing it. They asked for more information in December which I sent in January and to this date they have still not looked at the documents. My daughter is from my marriage to my husband so has rights to candian citizenship and can attend kindergarten etc. However my son (who has just turned 13) is from a previous relationship where I was not married and his biological faher never applied for any Parental Rights and has had no contact since he was 6 months old. My concern is that he cannot attend school and I am helplessly trying to homeschool him the best I am but in June would have been here a year and a half already and want this application finalised so his education doesnt suffer any more than if has so far. Can anyone in a similar situation tell me how long their applications took - really getting fed up with the situation and the time it is taking
Many thanks
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Application - How Much Longer

Originally Posted by Gemini06Yellow
I am being sponsored by my Canadian husband and submitted application June last year which is when they started processing it. They asked for more information in December which I sent in January and to this date they have still not looked at the documents. My daughter is from my marriage to my husband so has rights to candian citizenship and can attend kindergarten etc. However my son (who has just turned 13) is from a previous relationship where I was not married and his biological faher never applied for any Parental Rights and has had no contact since he was 6 months old. My concern is that he cannot attend school and I am helplessly trying to homeschool him the best I am but in June would have been here a year and a half already and want this application finalised so his education doesnt suffer any more than if has so far. Can anyone in a similar situation tell me how long their applications took - really getting fed up with the situation and the time it is taking
Many thanks
Hi,

I know - these inland applications are soooooooo slow it's unbelievable! Mine sounds like it was a much more straightforward application and yet it took 16 months, from the date all the forms were received, to being called to the Landing Interview...plus another month before my PR card arrived.

My timescale was as follows:

Vegreville received my inland spousal application on 8th Nov 2006 and began processing it on 2nd Jan 2007.

I received AIP on June 25th 2007.

Fingerprints were requested in mid October, which e-CAS said they received on October 23rd.

My e-CAS updated on 21st Jan saying "We received the requested information on January 21, 2008. Thank you for providing the information" but I hadn't actually sent them anything, so I'm guessing that was saying they'd got the fingerprint check results from the RCMP.

Then on 31st Jan 2008 e-CAS updated to decision made.

On 6th Feb I got the letter about processing being complete; saying that I'd be contacted by my local CIC office.

The CIC office called about 2 weeks later, arranging my Landing Interview for 13th March, when I finally got PR status.

PR card arrived in the post today (17th April).

Hang in there!! Sending karma and loads of "speedy processing" +++ vibes your way
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Gemini06Yellow has a spectacular aura aboutGemini06Yellow has a spectacular aura aboutGemini06Yellow has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Hi,

I know - these inland applications are soooooooo slow it's unbelievable! Mine sounds like it was a much more straightforward application and yet it took 16 months, from the date all the forms were received, to being called to the Landing Interview...plus another month before my PR card arrived.

My timescale was as follows:

Vegreville received my inland spousal application on 8th Nov 2006 and began processing it on 2nd Jan 2007.

I received AIP on June 25th 2007.

Fingerprints were requested in mid October, which e-CAS said they received on October 23rd.

My e-CAS updated on 21st Jan saying "We received the requested information on January 21, 2008. Thank you for providing the information" but I hadn't actually sent them anything, so I'm guessing that was saying they'd got the fingerprint check results from the RCMP.

Then on 31st Jan 2008 e-CAS updated to decision made.

On 6th Feb I got the letter about processing being complete; saying that I'd be contacted by my local CIC office.

The CIC office called about 2 weeks later, arranging my Landing Interview for 13th March, when I finally got PR status.

PR card arrived in the post today (17th April).

Hang in there!! Sending karma and loads of "speedy processing" +++ vibes your way
Thank you so much for the information, will have to keep patient for longer. Just spoken to the school here to see what I can do for my son, they are willing to assess him to see how he has done with my teaching and are willing to let him join the school until our paperwork has been approved - although i will be paying $911 per month for the priviledge so gonna raid the piggy bank and hope that he gets a feel for the school, makes some friends and we get our forms back by September - thank you for the vibes
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for the information, will have to keep patient for longer. Just spoken to the school here to see what I can do for my son, they are willing to assess him to see how he has done with my teaching and are willing to let him join the school until our paperwork has been approved - although i will be paying $911 per month for the priviledge so gonna raid the piggy bank and hope that he gets a feel for the school, makes some friends and we get our forms back by September - thank you for the vibes
Sorry to be a pain but what actually happens at the landing interview? Are there tons of questions and would my son have to be interviewed too or would I answer quesyions about him on his behalf as I am his parent
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be a pain but what actually happens at the landing interview? Are there tons of questions and would my son have to be interviewed too or would I answer quesyions about him on his behalf as I am his parent
No, there were hardly any questions. It was a 10 minute process. Just stuff about confirming the details on your Confirmation of PR (name, dob, address, weight, height, etc) and whether you'd ever been refused entry to Canada or had any criminal convictions. There was nothing complicated.

Also, when the local CIC Office called to arrange the "interview" I answered the 'phone and they asked if I was <my full name> and when I said I was, they said:

"Hello Alex, this is Citizenship & Immigration Canada in Prince George. We're ready to make you a Permenant Resident."

So I think it's pretty much a formality...

Your son will have to attend (and also your husband) and I'd assume your son would have to answer for himself, but I don't know. My boys were both already Canadian citizens, so I was the only one Landing.

Ouch at those tuition fees!!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
No, there were hardly any questions. It was a 10 minute process. Just stuff about confirming the details on your Confirmation of PR (name, dob, address, weight, height, etc) and whether you'd ever been refused entry to Canada or had any criminal convictions. There was nothing complicated.

Also, when the local CIC Office called to arrange the "interview" I answered the 'phone and they asked if I was <my full name> and when I said I was, they said:

"Hello Alex, this is Citizenship & Immigration Canada in Prince George. We're ready to make you a Permenant Resident."

So I think it's pretty much a formality...

Your son will have to attend (and also your husband) and I'd assume your son would have to answer for himself, but I don't know. My boys were both already Canadian citizens, so I was the only one Landing.

Ouch at those tuition fees!!!
yep the fees are gonna put a big dent in our pockets, but i need to put my son first and this seems the only way forward for his education and for him to actually make some friends and interact with other kids - although saying that we have just moved from Winnipeg to Thompson in Manitoba because of my husbands work commitments and I have not heard very good reviews about here - but its what you make it