Sponsorship

Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Kerrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship

I have met someone from Manitoba, Canada.

I am hoping to move over in the next year or two.

He wants to sponsor myself and my son (I think my son would be included on my application?)

He has a daughter that does not live with him.

Would there be any problem with him sponsoring me?

I know he would have to prove his income, somewhere to live etc, but what would I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Kerrie
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:41 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship

Originally Posted by Kerrie
I have met someone from Manitoba, Canada.

I am hoping to move over in the next year or two.

He wants to sponsor myself and my son (I think my son would be included on my application?)

He has a daughter that does not live with him.

Would there be any problem with him sponsoring me?

I know he would have to prove his income, somewhere to live etc, but what would I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Kerrie
You would have to be married, or have lived together as common-law partners for at least a year, in order for him to be able to sponsor you. Your daughter if she is dependent on you could be included.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You would have to be married, or have lived together as common-law partners for at least a year, in order for him to be able to sponsor you. Your daughter if she is dependent on you could be included.

I have the following:

Conjugal partner
The conjugal partner category is for partners—either of opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses. A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It is a mutually dependent relationship, and it has some permanence and the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law union.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:

you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year;

you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
an immigration barrier;

your marital status (e.g., you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible);

or

your sexual orientation (e.g., you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live);

you can provide evidence of an impediment to living together (e.g., evidence of refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

My next question is, how do you go about getting long term stay, and would my son be able to goto school there with just long term stay?

It's my son thats stopping me in a way, as I don't want to move there and find he can't goto school. My son is a dependant he is 12 years old.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:37 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kerrie
I have the following:

Conjugal partner
The conjugal partner category is for partners—either of opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses. A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It is a mutually dependent relationship, and it has some permanence and the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law union.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:

you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year;

you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
an immigration barrier;

your marital status (e.g., you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible);

or

your sexual orientation (e.g., you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live);

you can provide evidence of an impediment to living together (e.g., evidence of refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

My next question is, how do you go about getting long term stay, and would my son be able to goto school there with just long term stay?

It's my son thats stopping me in a way, as I don't want to move there and find he can't goto school. My son is a dependant he is 12 years old.
The Conjugal Partner possibility is quite a difficult one to pursue. You can see that there are limitations and conditions that are unlikely to apply in your case. For instance, there is nothing to stop you from marrying. And, there has to be some evidence of real commitment to each other.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The Conjugal Partner possibility is quite a difficult one to pursue. You can see that there are limitations and conditions that are unlikely to apply in your case. For instance, there is nothing to stop you from marrying. And, there has to be some evidence of real commitment to each other.
Thanks for your reply Jim.

Somebody has said that family/friend statements may class for evidence. Also we would be visiting one another, so I would imagine photographic evidence would count? Plus air tickets etc.

I was also just looking at the http://www.cic.gc.ca/english site, and if I went for the long term stay option, ie more than 6 months, my son should be able to get a study visa. Not sure if anyone knows anything about that. If I could go with that option then that would class as us being common-law after a year, or have I got that wrong?

Also I would probably need to save money so my partner isn't paying for everything.

There is another question, what would happen about medical care? Would I need to take some sort of plan out for my son and myself?

Thanks

Last edited by Kerrie; Aug 28th 2005 at 7:49 pm.