Sponsoring Wife - (Mr. Miller)

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

wesam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring Wife - (Mr. Miller)

I have been living in Canada since 01/2004 as a PR after moving from the US and I have a very good job here. I am neither a US citizen nor a green card holder. My plan is to go back to the states this August and marry my US citizen girlfriend (been dating for 5 years). After we get married, she will stay in the state and I will come back to Canada. As soon as I get to Canada I am going to start her immigration stuff. She will be working in the states until 05/2005; hopefully by then, her immigration stuff will be done. The question is that: what if by May of next year, her immigration stuff to Canada are not done. What are our option(s) for her to come and stay with me in Canada until her immigration stuff are done. I am thinking about her coming up without actually moving her stuff to visit with me and as soon as we get her immigration stuff, we can go back to the states and move all of her stuff, I am only looking for the legal way of doing this.

I know she can come and visit any time she want, but what if she visits after we start the PR application? If I start the sponsoring in 09/2004 and for some reason we don’t have it by 05/2005, I would like for her to come and stay with me here in Canada until it’s all done. At the airport, if she tells them that she is just visiting her spouse and that she has a PR application in process, they will issue her a visa even thought she is a US citizen, right? How long the visa is valid for and how many times can we extend it? As long as she stays less than six months, we do not have to inform the processing center about her visit, right? And what if we extend her visit visa, do we have to inform them? Can she get a work permit as a visitor?

Thank you for your time.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:20 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring Wife - (Mr. Miller)

She will have no problems (as US national) visiting you in Canada during her PR process, providing of course that she tells the truth at the port of entry.

Originally posted by wesam
I have been living in Canada since 01/2004 as a PR after moving from the US and I have a very good job here. I am neither a US citizen nor a green card holder. My plan is to go back to the states this August and marry my US citizen girlfriend (been dating for 5 years). After we get married, she will stay in the state and I will come back to Canada. As soon as I get to Canada I am going to start her immigration stuff. She will be working in the states until 05/2005; hopefully by then, her immigration stuff will be done. The question is that: what if by May of next year, her immigration stuff to Canada are not done. What are our option(s) for her to come and stay with me in Canada until her immigration stuff are done. I am thinking about her coming up without actually moving her stuff to visit with me and as soon as we get her immigration stuff, we can go back to the states and move all of her stuff, I am only looking for the legal way of doing this.

I know she can come and visit any time she want, but what if she visits after we start the PR application? If I start the sponsoring in 09/2004 and for some reason we don’t have it by 05/2005, I would like for her to come and stay with me here in Canada until it’s all done. At the airport, if she tells them that she is just visiting her spouse and that she has a PR application in process, they will issue her a visa even thought she is a US citizen, right? How long the visa is valid for and how many times can we extend it? As long as she stays less than six months, we do not have to inform the processing center about her visit, right? And what if we extend her visit visa, do we have to inform them? Can she get a work permit as a visitor?

Thank you for your time.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

wesam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your respond.

She will tell the truth at the port of entry
Can she stay here for up to six months and then extend her visit without us contacting the process center about the PR application? It will still be an out off land PR application because she is only visiting, right? They will not change it to an inland application, right? She cannot work as a US visitor, can she??
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:58 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

She will have to apply for extension of stay here.

And no - case won't be (as it cannot be) changed to inland process.

Originally posted by wesam
Thank you for your respond.

She will tell the truth at the port of entry
Can she stay here for up to six months and then extend her visit without us contacting the process center about the PR application? It will still be an out off land PR application because she is only visiting, right? They will not change it to an inland application, right? She cannot work as a US visitor, can she??