sponsoring spouse

Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

ijstewart is on a distinguished road
Default sponsoring spouse

Hi there,
I'm new to the site so please forgive any repetitive questions.
I am a Canadian citizen living in Northern Ireland at present, but in the next 2 years my husband, 2 children and I are planning to move back to Canada.

My first question has to do with Part C and submitting "travels in past 10 years". I thought that I had read somewhere that you only had to complete this if submitting an application to the Paris office, can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Second, in regards to the police checks, my husband is in the British Army and was posted in Cyprus for 3 years and the Falkland's for 6 months. Does he have to produce a police check for Cyprus/Falklands or is it different because they are a soveriegn based area (British Colony)?

Third question relates to the children. They are obviously Canadian citizens as I am, but is there anywhere that I have to include them. I thought that it said to include any dependants, whether ciizens or not on the additional family members page. Is it better to include them just in case?

Any help would be appreciated as I would rather only have to go through this process once. Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:14 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsoring spouse

Originally Posted by ijstewart
Hi there,
I am a Canadian citizen living in Northern Ireland at present, but in the next 2 years my husband, 2 children and I are planning to move back to Canada.

My first question has to do with Part C and submitting "travels in past 10 years". I thought that I had read somewhere that you only had to complete this if submitting an application to the Paris office, can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Second, in regards to the police checks, my husband is in the British Army and was posted in Cyprus for 3 years and the Falkland's for 6 months. Does he have to produce a police check for Cyprus/Falklands or is it different because they are a soveriegn based area (British Colony)?

Third question relates to the children. They are obviously Canadian citizens as I am, but is there anywhere that I have to include them. I thought that it said to include any dependants, whether ciizens or not on the additional family members page. Is it better to include them just in case?

Any help would be appreciated as I would rather only have to go through this process once. Thanks in advance!!
Your husband will need a military PCC! as far as children are concerned, they are canadians, but you need to include them as dependants (even though they arent getting sponsored)! Its better to apply for their citizenship certificates now, cuz it takes a while to get them....
Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amancharan
Your husband will need a military PCC! as far as children are concerned, they are canadians, but you need to include them as dependants (even though they arent getting sponsored)! Its better to apply for their citizenship certificates now, cuz it takes a while to get them....

Sorry, what is a military PCC and is it acceptable in lieu of a police check?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:40 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amancharan
The children do not need a citizen cert or even a canadian passport but as you said, it's best to apply now anyway due to the time it takes.
Our Daughter has a UK passport and is a canadian Citizen due to her mothers canadian nationality, she doesn't have a passport or citizen cert yet but everything was ok.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

theDIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Id be interested to know what the answer is here as to whether or not to include children who are Canadian citizens as dependents. I was planning not to, but am including a letter explaining that we have 2 children for whom we are currently applying for citizenship certificates, but who we havent included in the main application.

Is this wrong?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:49 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theDIV
Id be interested to know what the answer is here as to whether or not to include children who are Canadian citizens as dependents. I was planning not to, but am including a letter explaining that we have 2 children for whom we are currently applying for citizenship certificates, but who we havent included in the main application.

Is this wrong?

You are right to include the letter explaining the citizenship situation but you still have to list the children as dependants and under any other family.

With any question, if you are not sure wether to include something or not, it is always better to include it anyway and include a covernote explaining the situation.
CIC will never send an application back for having too much info but they could for not having enough.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
You are right to include the letter explaining the citizenship situation but you still have to list the children as dependants and under any other family.

With any question, if you are not sure wether to include something or not, it is always better to include it anyway and include a covernote explaining the situation.
CIC will never send an application back for having too much info but they could for not having enough.

Any thoughts on the travel question for Part C? It is on the Document Checklist-Immigrant and says only applications for Paris centre need to include this. My husband travels quite a lot with work (British Army) and I don't know if we will be able to remember all of the times he travelled and does this include trips out of Northern Ireland to England/Scotland since technically they are seperate countries. If this doesn't need to be filled in it would save a lot of time.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:43 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Any thoughts on the travel question for Part C? It is on the Document Checklist-Immigrant and says only applications for Paris centre need to include this. My husband travels quite a lot with work (British Army) and I don't know if we will be able to remember all of the times he travelled and does this include trips out of Northern Ireland to England/Scotland since technically they are seperate countries. If this doesn't need to be filled in it would save a lot of time.
I stand to be corrected but NI/England/Scotland/Wales are all the UK and count as the same country for immigration purposes. You only have to include other countries if you spent more than 6 months there anyway.

If your husband travelled abroad with the army then they would be able to provide him with the dates.
HTH
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

I stand to be corrected but NI/England/Scotland/Wales are all the UK and count as the same country for immigration purposes. You only have to include other countries if you spent more than 6 months there anyway.

If your husband travelled abroad with the army then they would be able to provide him with the dates.
HTH

Thank you for your help, do you know if police checks from countries he spent more than 6 months in are required ie. Cyprus/Falklands or is a UK police check ok since he was posted in a sovereign base? Someone mentioned a military PCC but neither of us know what that is.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:09 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Thank you for your help, do you know if police checks from countries he spent more than 6 months in are required ie. Cyprus/Falklands or is a UK police check ok since he was posted in a sovereign base? Someone mentioned a military PCC but neither of us know what that is.
My guess would be that "miltary pcc" would just be a police record check done by the military police. as for Cyprus/Falklands, i would have thought that a military police check would cover this as well.
You are best to get advise from an expert as it's too important an issue to leave to guesswork.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

My guess would be that "miltary pcc" would just be a police record check done by the military police. as for Cyprus/Falklands, i would have thought that a military police check would cover this as well.
You are best to get advise from an expert as it's too important an issue to leave to guesswork.
Are there any experts on this website that I can contact or would I need to speak with an immigration lawyer,do you know of anyone reputable that I could contact?
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:30 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Are there any experts on this website that I can contact or would I need to speak with an immigration lawyer,do you know of anyone reputable that I could contact?
Andrew Miller or Jim Humphries are both on this site and you could ask them, they both give good advise based on immigration law and not on hearsay or based on 1 persons experience. Both seem to be ethical as well because i have never seen either of them tout for business.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

does this include trips out of Northern Ireland to England/Scotland since technically they are seperate countries.
They are not separate countries.

Jeremy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Are you a British citizen too? If not, have you thought about obtaining British citizenship before you leave the UK, if you're eligible.

Have your children got Canadian citizenship cards and Canadian passports? If not, you should apply for them now as these take time.

Were any of the children born in a British overseas territory (Falklands, Cyprus etc) , out of interest?

Check the CIC website to see if they have any instructions for getting *regular* police checks from the Falkland Islands and Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus (both British Overseas Territories).

Whether they would ask for a Cyprus police check as well is an open question - they ought not to as the Sovereign Base Areas are not Cypriot territory, however one can't always rely on these things.

Jeremy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you a British citizen too? If not, have you thought about obtaining British citizenship before you leave the UK, if you're eligible.

Have your children got Canadian citizenship cards and Canadian passports? If not, you should apply for them now as these take time.

Were any of the children born in a British overseas territory (Falklands, Cyprus etc) , out of interest?

Check the CIC website to see if they have any instructions for getting *regular* police checks from the Falkland Islands and Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus (both British Overseas Territories).

Whether they would ask for a Cyprus police check as well is an open question - they ought not to as the Sovereign Base Areas are not Cypriot territory, however one can't always rely on these things.

Jeremy
I have dual citizenship as I was born in UK, parents immigrated to Canada in 1978, citizenship in 1984. I have now been living here for the last 8 years - long story and I have been trying to get hubby to move for ages!! Oldest son,10, was born in Canada so no problems there and youngest,5, was born here in UK but I have already got a citizenship card for him. Only thing now is to get hubby sorted which I think will take the longest and be the most stressful. I will try the website again re Cyprus/Falklands. Is there anywhere in UK you can hone for question ie British High Comission in London?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.