Sponsoring a spouse

Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsoring a spouse

I am interested to know what your responsibilities are when you sponsor your spouse to emigrate to Canada. I know that you are financially responsible for that person for three years. But is that "no matter what"?

The reason I am curious is because my son's ex-partner went to another country to live for a couple of years and got married. According to her, once they were married he thought he owned her and became physically abusive. He "put her in the hospital several times" and she left him and returned to Canada. I assume that this story was basically the truth.

It now appears he has persuaded her that he has changed and she is now pursuing her sponsorship and he plans on emigrating here. I think she is crazy of course. What happens if he gets his PR card, comes here and beats her up again? What happens if she throws him out? What happens if she doesn't make enough money to support herself and him separately? Once he gets his PR card is he here no matter what and is she financially responsible for him no matter what?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

maja7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring a spouse

She is financialy responsible for him for the time appointed by immigration no matter what. She is responsible for his ~basic necessities~, so a trip to Hawaii is not included

It looks like all that beating didn't knock any sense into her.
If he beats her up again she dials 911 and throws hi *ss in jail, although it will be her own fault. She is giving him the opportunity to do so.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

So - are you saying that he could choose to loaf around and not work and say he can't work because he can't speak English and if she says she will not live with him if he abuses her and she cannot afford to support two households - what happens then??

Suppose she does not have the money??

And re your comment - you are exactly right. But isn't that how it works? They beat you up - then they say they are sooo sorry. It was only because you are so gorgeous and wonderful they were jealous etc. etc. etc. and it doesnt happen again - until the next time!!

Last edited by Purley; Apr 7th 2004 at 1:08 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

maja7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lizwil98
So - are you saying that he could choose to loaf around and not work and say he can't work because he can't speak English and if she says she will not live with him if he abuses her and she cannot afford to support two households - what happens then??
Suppose she does not have the money??
Yes absolutely. He can choose to bum around all day at her expense. Is this the first time you are hearing about a case like this? There are people that get divorced and then the spouse is living with the new girlfriend and the ex that sponsored him still needs to cover his expenses.
Honestly, I don't know what happens if she doesn't have the money. But if she files taxes every year, then the gov. knows how much she is making. He can not go on welfare...well he can but then she will be responsible to pay those money back.

And re your comment - you are exactly right. But isn't that how it works? They beat you up - then they say they are sooo sorry. It was only because you are so gorgeous and wonderful they were jealous etc. etc. etc. and it doesnt happen again - until the next time!!
NO, it's absolutely NOT how it works. It all depends on the type of person and strong will. Sorry doesn't cut it with me for much smaller things...let alone somebody beating me up.